Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Default Position >

Needle Default Position

Needle Default Position

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Now I really feel like a do do bird. Not sure what the "default" was exactly but as I read I realize that I have issues with it too. I have a Janome MC4000. Love it! When I turn on the machine, the needle does a little dance and settles itself "in the middle" position. But it is not actually the middle according several of the presser feet and to the needle threader. I find that if I move the position one to the right it is right on. But as others have said I sometimes forget to set it. It doesn't not hit the foot. If I move the needle on position to the right, I get a scant 1/4 in. I also move it when using the SID foot which is actually the edge stitcher foot.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by gotta-sew View Post
FYI, go to your settings, you can change the default setting to the center. Or you can just move the needle using your width control to where you want it and then save it in that spot. It will always be there.
Please see post #15. Default position can not be changed and I can not move the needle and save it in any other position. This is an older machine and doesn't have the capabilities many of you have on your new machines.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 AM

should be in the center
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM

I have a Viking Scandinavia machine. My 1/4"foot has a single hole in the center. I'd like to move my needle to the right a notch or two (I have that capability) so that my fabric is more evenly over the feed dogs, but then the needle will slam into the foot and break. Bummer.......
Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Dead center ---- but if I want to do 1/4" seams, I have to move it to the right quite a ways. Janome Jem
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM

My machine defaults to the center. I am not sure about my viking.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM

You need a plate that has more than a single hole and then you can use other stitches. Your machine may have come with two different plates, I hope.
Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
I have a Viking Scandinavia machine. My 1/4"foot has a single hole in the center. I'd like to move my needle to the right a notch or two (I have that capability) so that my fabric is more evenly over the feed dogs, but then the needle will slam into the foot and break. Bummer.......
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
Please see post #15. Default position can not be changed and I can not move the needle and save it in any other position. This is an older machine and doesn't have the capabilities many of you have on your new machines.
Ok, I was just trying to help you. I have been teaching this machine for years. It used to be called the espire (around 14 years ago),( Babylock later came out with a new espire that then changed to the symphony.) then it came out as the decorators choice, now it is called the elizabeth. Sure there have been a few tweeks here and there, but basicly the same. I also teach quilting, I show weekly customers that have the decorators choice how to do this very thing.

Let's just go with "it can't be done." Sorry for the post. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch View Post
Gramajo has a very important point -- most likely only the newer electronic/computerized machines will have the ability to do this. I wonder if they had so many requests for the center needle default position that they started making the newer machines with this ability? It's possible on mine (Brother XR1300 which is the Costco version of the CS6000i without embroidery/monogramming feature), so it might be worth it to check your manual if your machine is fairly new.

I've had my Baby Lock less than a month, it is electronic and the needle defaults to left. I've read through the manual and there are no instructions or information on changing the default. I'll contact the dealer later today to see if it's possible to change and report back.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 AM
QM
Power Poster

All of the machines i have used have had default in the center,