Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Needle help!

Needle help!

I had a chat with my Brother phone rep and he advised me to use a size 14 needle. Of course I started sewing with it and it keeps coming out. I'm appliquéing cotton onto cotton. It is my only size 14 needle. The only needles I have are 70/10. What size do I need? I am fine buying new ones, but don't want to get the wrong ones! Help!!!
    Bobbi
    Quilting happily in Tennessee!

Blog Entries
    It all depends on the thread you are using. 50wt 3ply, 40wt, thread usually take a 90/14 needle. If the thread is 50wt 2 ply or 60wt you need a size 80 and over 60wt you may have to go to a size 70. There are several sizes of 90 needles. I use topstitch needles for all my piecing and machine quilting.

This probably won't apply to you but once I was so frustrated that my needle kept coming unthreaded no matter what I did. I was threading it right to left instead of left to right. LOL.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 07-26-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Got fabric?

Thank you!! I called the rep because my thread kept getting hung up and as soon as he's on the phone I figured out it was getting got in the little notch on the spool!! I'm glad he couldn't see my embarrassment! Haha! Thanks again for the info!!
    Bobbi

Blog Entries
    Glad you found the problem! Do you have a spool cap? That will stop the notch problem. What brand of thread has the notched spool? I thought that was long gone from thread spools by now. I wouldn't buy thread on a notched spool any more. LOL
    Got fabric?

I have thread spools with a notch in them. Both my new machines have caps and that solves the problem. I use alot of coats and clark thread. I know most people would toss it, not me I want to use it up.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I use /10/60 sharp if I am doing monofilament, my 50wt gutterman I use my 11/75 to piece. The rayons I think I used a 14/90 sharp. If thread is breaking your needles are too small. I have a brother and don't have a problem with needles coming out. Are you tightening the bolt down enough by hand. Your machine should be able to use all size sewing needles. I have used 10-16 with no problem. I think smetz sells a chart for a couple bucks that explains needle/thread sizes

Thanks for your help! I think my needle was getting stuck in thread underneath that pulled it out. When looking at the appliqué it seems as if there was a spot that probably got stuck in the feed dogs. Working great now. I finished all my appliqué and now on to FMQ!
    Bobbi