Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle holes left in batiks >

Needle holes left in batiks

Needle holes left in batiks

Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Default Needle holes left in batiks

I am trying to salvage every bit of the batiks that my church group of quilters were given by a major fabric manufacturer. I call these pieces of fabrics "enders" because this is where a piece of fabric is sewn to another I assume during the printing process. I am not that familiar with batiks so this is all a new experience for me. I have probably around 30 to 50 of these pieces that were cut off when the fabric was being folded onto the bolts. What is the best water temperature I should use to try to shrink these needle holes?? Do I need to worry about color migrations?? If I have missed asking any questions, please feel free to add that to your thread. THANKS AGAIN!!
Attached Thumbnails hoffman-batiks.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Justice wash & dry them. The holes will disappear and any dye bleeding will wash away too. I would put like colors together (like sorting your laundry) and maybe toss in a color catcher.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Justice wash & dry them. The holes will disappear and any dye bleeding will wash away too. I would put like colors together (like sorting your laundry) and maybe toss in a color catcher.
This is what I would do too. Just wash in warm water and dry. I have had many batiks bleed some so do be careful and sort by similar colors. I do lots of small "quick wash" loads. I think the needle holes will disappear!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 AM

I like to do the wash with a lot of extra water if I think bleeding is going to be an issue. So small load, but set to large on the dial.

Those holes look like they're just spread threads, not broken threads, so they should come right out in the wash.

Nice looking fabric!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

ditto ... wash and dry on hot with a colour catcher.
Most likely the CC will be stained ..... then I would give them the retayne treatment, to set the colours and minimize problems later.

Lucky you to become "heir" to these fabrics!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I usually " help" my needle holes close by running my fingernail over them before washing. It's been working fir me.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Do wash and dry them ... Wash similar colors together using lots of warm water and either a bit( about 1-2 teaspoons) of dawn dish detergent or sythropol to release any unset dye. . Batiks because of the tight weave do not always have needle holes that "close- up" when washed. It depends on the size of needle used in the stitching. The only way to find out is wash and dry some to see what happens to the holes.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the washing. Batiks have already been laundered in hot water to get the resist out, so they probably won't shrink, but they often have excess dye that you want to get rid of. Unless the needle used to join the pieces actually cut the threads, the holes should close up.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Most of the holes will disappear in the wash and those that don't won't be noticed when used in a whoe quilt that has been quilted. I wouldn't let it bother me one stitch!
peace
Old 06-30-2014, 02:30 PM

If you don't want to wash and dry them, needle holes in batiks (for me) close up when misted with a spray bottle of water and pressed with a hot steam iron. For stubborn cases, add in the fingernail treatment.