Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
needle position for 1/4 inch seam >

needle position for 1/4 inch seam

needle position for 1/4 inch seam

Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 PM

I enlarged the hole on my 1/4" foot with flange. I used a round file, available at Home Depot or Harbor Freight. I found even with the single hole throat plate on my machine I can move the needle 1 place to right or left without any problems. Unfortunately I can't enlarge the hole in the throat plate.

I have a Pfaff with the IDT so there aren't any drifting problems.

When i use my FW I use my left hand to hold the material, with the thumb before the fabric goes under the foot and the rest of my hand for the fabric behind the foot. My hand just automatically goes into a rhythm so that it all works well.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Thank you for all the great answers. That's my job for the morning before I go to work. Play and try to figure out the best way to get 1/4 inch. They sure don't make it easy, do they!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM

I have a Brother Innovis D 4000. I use a center needle straight stitch, changing my stitch width to 2.5 and using the inside right edge of my "J" foot as a guide for the edge of my fabric to achieve my scant 1/4 inch seam. I have several of the 1/4 inch feet and don't like them because of the dragging on any fabric they catch on. I can not use the 1/4" seam guide on my machine. It's too far from the needle and I can't seem to stay straight when my material is right at the end of a seam.

I would think it would be very difficult to sew with the fabric only being pulled by one of the feed dogs. You would always be trying to keep it straight.

It all comes down to what works for you. I am working on Judy Niemeyer's Bali Wedding Star. This is my first paper pieced project. It has really helped me work on my 1/4 inch seam having those lines to aim for. I wish I had realized this a long time ago. My sewing would have been much closer to a 1/4 inch seam a lot sooner.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM

"What I don't understand about moving your needle a notch or two, my 1/4 inch foot is for straight stitching. If I go moving the needle I am going to be breaking it. All 3 of my 1/4 inch feet are this way. Just curious." ArlaJo

ArlaJo, I don't use my 1/4" foot or the straight stitch sole plate I purchased specifically for piecing and quilting. I use my all purpose foot and sole plate which will accommodate up to either 5mm or 9mm wide stitching. When I tried to use the 1/4" foot I didn't have proper pull of the feed dogs.

Last edited by Chaney Ranch; 01-27-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 AM

I have 2 machines. The pfaff passport makes a perfect 1/4 inch seam. The bernina 830 does not. I adjust the needle position and always sew with the bulk of the fabric to the left of the presser foot.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:53 AM

I have a Babylock Ellure and it has a needle position (No. 21) for an accurate 1/4" seam. You use it with the regular foot.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
I have a Babylock Ellure and it has a needle position (No. 21) for an accurate 1/4" seam. You use it with the regular foot.
I have Vikings and do this, too. Move my needle all the way to the right and use the regular foot for a 1/4" seam. Now, I can only do that with the the original plate - cannot use the straight stitch plate with its single center hole and then move the needle or I will break the needle!

Prefer to piece on my featherweight and other old straight-stitch-only machines. Since it is straight stitch only the feed dogs are closer together and the fabric feeds more evenly under the needle.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM

Look carefully at your 1/4" foot. There may be a slight amount of flexibility. I have a Pfaff, and my 1/4" foot allows me to move the needle 2 positions so I can do a scant 1/4". It's all in the size of hole in the foot. Oh, I use the standard base plate, not the single hole base plate.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM

I am so confused about this "scant 1/4" ". I was told to disregard this idea and just make a regular 1/4". if your seams are consistant 1/4" throughout the project then your quilt top will go together correctly and be the correct size. I am not aware that quilt pattern designers make an allowance for this scant 1/4'. I have a Brothers 1500 and use the 1/4" foot and my seams always measure 1/4". On my Singer I do not use the 1/4" foot and need to move the needle position over to get the 1/4" seam. I just made the "cosa Maya" pattern and it went together perfect and measured the correct size using my Brothers. No quilt police!!!! so just use regular 1/4" seam and go for it!.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:48 AM

I adjust my needle to the far right and use a walking foot for all but the basic block construction. As soon as I get to the point of multiple layers of materials I switch to the walking foot for even feed.
MaryKatherine