Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle turning onto large backgrounds >

Needle turning onto large backgrounds

Needle turning onto large backgrounds

Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM

Default Needle turning onto large backgrounds

This might sound a little dumb but here goes...
I'm a very experienced needleturn appliquer, but up to this point I don't think I've ever worked onto a background above 15" square.
I want to applique a large but detailed design onto like a whole cloth background. One big piece, applique onto it, quilt it.
My question is how do I hold the background. I'm used to working onto smaller background where I have my thumb on the right side, fingers on the wrong side, and the excess background sitting gathered between thumb and forefinger. How will this work with a BIG background?
Any advice appreciated :-)
Old 05-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Exactly the same if possible. The fabric will scrunch in the hand . I would fusible backing onto the background. You may find it easier to either divide and doing small cut sizes which you can join and cover seam with more applique or use the machine applique with invisible thread.

Look at my avatar that was hand needle turned reverse appliqué originally . Which I put machine stitching on at a later stage as I liked the additional line of machine fancy stitch.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 PM

Yep, the same as dottymo said. It's definitely tricky which is probably why you don't see a lot of whole cloth quilts with hand appliqué. Sounds like it could be lovely though, post pics if you attempt one! ;-)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

You might check into how Hawaiian quilts are made, since they are essentially hand appliqued, one large piece on top of another large piece.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Have you thought of hand appliqueing the smaller pieces, when applicable onto the larger pieces?? Then all you will have to deal with are a fewer larger pieces when appliqueing onto the whole cloth?? Just a thought.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

YOu could baste the applique inside the edges, leaving enough room for it to be turned. work in small sections, like one inch at a time. slow but steady and you'll get it done.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 PM

Thank you so much girls for your replies. Hadn't thought about Hawaiian quilts hmmmm.
I cut a 60" square last night of another fabric and some pretty roses in broderie Peres. Thought I could practice appliquing them in the middle as a nice table cloth for my mum. No issue with the applique as such, just the great wad of bunched up fabric in the crook of my hand so I can have my thumb clear on top. I tried pinching the background along with the applique between thumb and fingers, so the fabric was covering my thumb, and I felt like a muppet wearing mittens. Lets just say my stitching became rather primitive lol.
I'm thinking it would also help if my background fabric was lighter weight than quilters cotton, scrunch up easier, but everything I have that's softer/thinner pulls off grain too easily without that weight.
I know this can be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Sorry, brodere perse