Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Needle up/needle down when in transit?

I asked this question in the class I am taking this morning and was told it was a matter of personal preference.

Is there conventional wisdom that indicates up versus down while in transit?

This machine is a Bernina 801 (vintage). When I took it out of the shipping box last summer, the bobbin door had come open and the bobbin and case had led a merry chase through the case. I snipped through a lot of thread. Happily, when I had the machine serviced a week later, she found no problems in the tension or general operation.

I worry about breaking a needle or knocking something out of alignment.

Cheers, K

Myself I would make sure the pressure foot is in the down position, and the needle in the up position. My computerized machine realigns each time it shuts down or starts, and I'd be afraid of jamming something if the needle was in the down position. JMHO

Blog Entries
    I would put a piece of fabric between the presser foot and the feed dogs, and lower the presser foot. I'd remove the needle if it's going to be transported. For simple storage in the house, I just lower the needle as low as it will go and leave it like that.

Blog Entries
    I was taught to put the needle down as well as the feed dogs. I may have to relearn some old tricks.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    should be feed dogs and needle down in a thick piece of fabric and NO bobbin or thread!

I would put presser foot down needle down and run a piece of blue masking tape across the bobbin area holding it closed

Blog Entries
    We had a visiting teacher who used to work for Bernina - she advises needle down (and presser foot).