Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Needles bending...

I have trouble bending needles and I'm just sewing on my binding. Strong fingers I guess.

The shorter betweens don't seem to bend as quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I agree, I use to bend my needles all the time . Then I started using betweens, and they hold up alot better.

Maybe I need to check my needle. I can't remember when I replaced it last!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    We ARE talking about hand quilting, right? I love my needle when it's bent, eventually it snaps and I have to 'train' another one. Mine are Clover size 10 quilting needles - quite a good brand I think, but still they bend. I think they get warm while you're sewing that's why they bend, but I wouldn't worry about it. I used to use a size 9 and they didn't bend as much. :-D

well...I'll try a between again. I've just had a hard time holding on to them. I had some surgery on my right hand a few years back and this winter for some reason it is giving me trouble. The middle knuckle is a bit swollen and just stiff and a little sore. I'm sure its just some arthritis in it and have been trying to compensate for it. Me going to the doctor involves someone having to hogtie me first and since dh is gone all week no one else is willing to try that little feat@

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ginnie - I googled around a bit and came across this discussion on another forum http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...440019838.html

The lady here seems to recommend Dritz size 10s which are less bendy and have a bigger eye. Hope it helps. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by redrummy
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I agree, I use to bend my needles all the time . Then I started using betweens, and they hold up alot better.
    I use betweens, size 11, when hand quilting. My poor arthritic fingers simply can't handle a size 12 anymore. I bend them all the time. I'll be sewing along and suddenly realize I've got a good 35 degree bend in it. If my stitched continue to remain relatively even I don't worry about it, but sometimes it bends the wrong direction and my stitches simply won't come out even. That's when it is time to throw it away and grab a new one. I bend them so much I usually keep at least 3-4 packages of new needles at all times.

I have not bent one in quite a while, but I do use larger needles.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OK, I just consulted with my EXPERT hand quilter and she immediately knew what the problem is. Your quilt is too tight/taut in the hoop. Loosen the screw and push in the center just enough to make the quilt stop springing. That will fix the problem.

And, be sure that your thumb is in the claw position in front of the needle when you are loading your needle/making your stitches.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast