Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Needles at Joann's-it's amazing what gets me excited >
  • Needles at Joann's-it's amazing what gets me excited

• Needles at Joann's-it's amazing what gets me excited

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 PM

Our joann's has always only carried the full lines of Singer and I think one other company's sewing machine needles. I don't mind Singer for apparel but for quilting I didn't like them. The only Schmetz brand they carried were universal and denim. Well I went there to kill some time this week and they have a whole bunch of Schmetz needles now!! I was wanting to try switching to a 14 (from a 12) in the microtex line and they had those, and I was wanting to try topstitch needles for quilting and they had those too. Yay!! :mrgreen: They didn't have the denim/jeans in the size 12 that I've been using for quilting but if the topstitch work ok then I'll switch.

So I wonder if I have to figure out my scant 1/4" all over again with new needle sizes. I hate doing that.
    Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 AM

That is great to know. Thank You!
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 AM

I didn't know there was a difference between brands. Could you explain what you feel is different? Do the Schmetz sew easier? Last longer? What is the microtex line ? I have some Schmetz needles, but also have Singers. Thanks for your time .... and help.
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 AM

Microtex is a name used by Schmetz for one of their needles - it's a sharp with a pointier point and a slightly larger eye, if I remember correctly.

Shmetz and Organ have acted pretty much the same for me as far as durability, so I tend to buy Schmetz for specialty needles (metallic) and Organ for everything else. I can get the Organ brand sharps or ball points for about $15/100 on eBay, so in addition to being long-lasting, they're cheap! :)

I try not to ever use Singer needles - they seem brittle and have quality issues that I don't have with the other brands. (burrs, bent, blunt, etc.)

I've also used Klasse' needles and they seem to be very good but they're a lot more expensive than Organ.
    Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM

How odd? Our JoAnn's has always carried a full line of machine needles. I prefer the "sharps".
    Old 01-28-2011, 04:15 PM

The topstich needles are great for quilting. Doesn't your machine have a 1/4 inch foot??? It is my lifesaver.....
    Old 01-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Just FYI, if your Joann's store has an area inside that they rent to a sewing machine dealer, they have more needles in that area also. They ring up all sales on their own register but don't use Joanne's coupons though.
    Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
    Power Poster

Singer makes two quality of needles. I've never seen the best quality Singer needles in any store, only at the old Singer dealers. I haven't seen a Singer dealership store in years either. I have a few packages left and I'm saving them for my Featherweight and 301. Singer needles are a tiny faction different in length and that makes a big difference when using the older Singers. I switched to Organ Titanium coated needles for my newer machines. They are the best needles for the money. They stay sharp so long they save me money.
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Our Joann's is very small. They don't even have classes often because all they have is a tiny room in the back and definitely no space for a sewing machine dealer. I've been to a few different Joann's stores around here and have never seen one even close to the tiny size of ours.

My machine does have a 1/4" foot but I have to adjust my needle position to get the correct 1/4". I was just happy to find a place to buy needles where I could buy one pack if I wanted and not have to pay more shipping than the needles cost.
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM

If you get on their mailing list they often have sales and a one item 40 percent off coupon.

smiles