Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: needles keep breaking

I'm trying to learn the proper "rocking" method of hand quilting using a size 10 or smaller needle per instructions...
    I keep breaking the needle went I try to come up from the bottom...what am I doing wrong?

Blog Entries
    When I had that problem I was using an inexpensive betweens needle. I use Roxanne's needles and they are stronger. http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....needles&u=&s=0

This search has lots of info on needles to use. Enjoy:)

When you have your quilt in the hoop or frame, how taut is your quilt? If you have it really tight that is probably your problem. If you will loosen the tension you will find it to be much easier.

make sure they are not cheaply made needles. something else you might want to consider. i hand quilt also but have never been able to with a hoop or a frame. i do what is called lap quilting. keeps me cozy in the winter when i work on them. i have hand quilted up to a king size quilt this way. works for me.

Thank you.
    I thought that the hoop needed to be taunt for the quilting to look right.
    I then loosened the hoop but still had trouble...so I took it out of the hoop but now can't control the rocking :(...
    I guess, it's more of a practice thing. :? I'll just keep practicing...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    John James or Roxanne needles are the best and loose tension in the hoop and lots of practice to get that rocking!

You can do it!

I also got some 12 stitch/inch tiger tape from Clothilde. That gives me a definite guide and doesn't mar the fabric aka sticky.