Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needs a new machine >

Needs a new machine

Needs a new machine

Old 12-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Post Needs a new machine

I have a Singer machine and it isn't working right. Needle keeps breaking and etc. I am tired of this machine and want a new one except don't know what kind to get. I am not a new quilter but just haven't made many in awhile. I like to quilt my own, do embrodiery and hand sew. I was thinking of spending around $400-$600. My plan is to make 8 quilts for next Christmas for my grandchildren.

What do you recommend and why?

Thanks.

Charlene
Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 PM

check sewing machine stores around you for trade ins-you may find a great deal that way.Husqvarna and Babylock are my preference-both are reliable
Old 12-17-2011, 04:57 PM

There are so many good brands of machines now days. I can't recommend a new one, but there are a lot of good used on craigslist and other places that you can get a better machine for the price you want to pay, if that is something you would be interested in. Good luck. I just bought a new to me Pfaff and I really like it.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:09 PM

I vote for a Pfaff. You can go to a dealer and look at new machines or new to you machines that have been refurbished. My first Pfaff was a new to me 16 years ago and I am still sewing with it. You can't beat the duel feed that Pfaff has. A good dealer is important. Don't be afraid to ask questions. They are there to help.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:11 PM

Go to your nearest dealer....
Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 PM

I still have a little Singer my dh got for me at Walmart! A friend is till using her Sears she got when she graduated from high school (Wow!)....My singer is great but DH got me a Janome 6600...and I agree, check out the machines at your local dealers if you can. Happy sewing.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Go to the dealers and test drive all the models you can find.....some dealers will have used machines for a great price....don't buy features that you won't use, but buy the best machine you can afford.....I found a great deal on a used Janome 6600 and love it dearly, but they are a bit pricey......just remember that not all machines are made to deal with all the abuse we quilters put them through and won't last long (plastic gears and such) so choose wisely....and have fun shopping!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:09 PM

I agree with maryb119. I am still sewing on my Pfaff I bought in 1986. Our dealer always have refurbished ones.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Whatever you get, make sure there is a dealer in town. In fact, buy from the dealer if you can. I get bumped to the top of the pile when I take my machine in....because I bought from her. How do I know this? My sister didn't buy from her, and I took my machine in the day after she did. I got mine back the next day, my sister waited 3 weeks. I bought a demonstrator and am very happy with it.

Also be sure to try out the machine. In fact, take something you are working on with you. I hope you enjoy the hunt!!

Dina
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 AM

Thank you to everyone... Will let you all know what I come up with.. probably won't be until after the holidays.