Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing? >

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Never been to JoAnn's - What am I missing?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:35 PM

Sorry but there isn't one close and I've just never had the need to go to JoAnn's. Is it crafts (like Michael's), is it fabric (like Hancock's)? Are the discounts better than anyone else's? Convince me I need to go.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 PM

If you happen to be going near one for other reasons, you will probably want to check it out, but meanwhile you can go to their website http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home...opnavlink=true and see a pretty good sampling.

They have a lot of crafts, yarn, and some seasonal decor and organizing supplies, but also a pretty good selection of fabrics of all types. They are known for sending out excellent coupons, and you can get those by e-mail by signing up on the website. The coupons are good online, at least part of the time. I usually don't want to pay postage, but ordered yarn from them one time a couple of years ago and it came promptly.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 PM

It is like both Michaels & a fabric store. JoAnn's has seasonal items - yard ornaments, kitchen goodies (plates, etc for each season); decorations for Christmas, Easter, Valentie's Day, etc; many different craft supplies (paints, scrapbooking, knitting, etc); artificial flowers; wedding planning items; candles; vases; craft books; garment-making patterns; some quilt patterns; upholstery fabric; drapery fabric; curtain rods; foam of various sizes for seat cushions, etc; variety of batting; sewing machines; Ott lights; buttons & ribbons galore; all sorts of quilting & sewing notions; crafting plastic containers of many shapes & sizes; sewing boxes; etc.
The fabric portion of the store has fleece, muslin, silks, flannel, and of course, cotton & poly-cotton fabric. I feel & check out the fabric carefully - some is very nice, & some is not quilt quality.
If you do ever go to JoAnn's, go on-line first & print off their % off coupons - usually you can find 40% off one regular priced item; sometimes 10% off entire order. They also have flyers in the store, but in our area, the flyers are gone by mid-week. You can also sign up for their mailing list & receive the flyer at home.
If you're thinking about making a trip to a JoAnn's, you may want to look at inventory on line & see if there is something you'd want.
Regards,
Jan
Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 PM

I buy most of my notions, batting, rotary cutters (not blades as I now use Harbor Freight carpet cutting blades) quilting thread and on occasion fabric when they have their sales. I also get their discount coupons in the mail. The store caters to all types of crafters, e.g. needlecrafts, children, dressmaking, window dresings, upholstry fabric, clothing and crafting patters, seasonal home & patio decorations. I like their sewing & quilting thread selections, yet the store in Cortland has a terrible thread choice. I guess it all depends what Joann's you shop in. Whenever I need to replace something, I wait for a big sale or use a 50% off coupon. If you do not have a store close to you go online and check it out. They do have good sales especially around holidays. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, they do accept other competitors coupons in stores. Check one out if you get a chance.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 AM

You are missing nothing much in regards to fabric choices. Cheap staples (batting) with coupons are a plus. Sorry if I offended anyone with this opinion.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Power Poster

i will say- you are not missing anything- if you manage to find the supplies you need with never having to enter a joannes----what a lucky girl!

can you tell- not a big fan --
we have one- when all else fails---have to have something can not locate it anywhere else- no time to order on line- i am (forced) to go there...i get in the door- find what i need and get out...trying to get out as quickly as possible with the least amount of aggrivation-
i've heard there are some good joannes out there- ours is not one of them- even if i only need a spool of thread it takes 20 minutes...

if i never had to enter their doorway again- i would not feel like i was missing anything.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 AM

dkcowl, Ditto!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 AM

We just got one last fall and I'm not impressed. It's like Michaels & Hancocks put together or a downsized version of Hobby Lobby. Ours doesn't have a good cotton selection, mostly fleece, flannel & decorative. We're in the southeast, why did they send all this fleece doing down here?? :lol:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

Not a big fan here either. Years ago they just sold fabric and sewing supplies. Now they have more crafts,flowers etc. then fabric. Was told by mamagement it cost nothing to sell crafts off the shelf but they have to pay someone to cut fabric. Sorry they feel that way.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 AM

i agree with the majority - its not worth a long drive.

its good for 50% coupons on bolts of batting