Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Never learned to measure, Is that bad? >

Never learned to measure, Is that bad?

Never learned to measure, Is that bad?

Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM

Default Never learned to measure, Is that bad?

So I have shown you a couple of quilts and I love them when I get them together I have made several on and off for last 10 years but never learned to measure my fabric. I would call myself a free quilter because I look at the pattern get my fabric and go to cutting. I try to make sure all my fabric is cut the same length and weight, but I do have to trim at times or make a section bigger but I don't really mind a whole lot because I know it doesn't have to be perfect. I'm sure you think i'm silly and saying "What" How have you quilted all this time and never learned to to measure your fabric?" the fact is I can't rap my head around it to figure out how to learn it.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

if you get the results that you want, measuring is not necessary. for me... i live with the ruler
Old 02-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Have you ever watch Eleanor Burns on her show Quilt in a Day? It might help you if you ever want to learn. I just mostly stick to strip piecing and sometime I make it up as I go especially when I see a photo. But I am lucky to have EQ to make sure my design is going to work.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I agree about Eleanor Burns. Her shows are free on her website. She has really taught me a lot and likes to simplify everything. Also, there are lots of You Tube videos that can show you how, if you want to, or, if you are happy with your results, don't worry about it.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:53 PM

As long as you stick to patterns or designs that are more 'free flowing' and don't have to fit together perfectly at seams or points, I say what you are doing is fine--especially if you like the results. There are a lot of modern quilts that are very spontaneous and fluid, the design rests more in the color/value choices rather than a fixed geometric designs. Just don't pick a pattern/design that requires exact cutting and sewing, or you might get really frustrated trying to put it together. That is what is nice about quilting, there is something for everyone!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

You don't measure strip widths? I guess I'm not understanding how you can make blocks all the same size and not measure the fabric pieces.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

If you don't measure, how do you cut your fabric to the "same length and width?" Do you cut the first piece then use that as a guide to cut the rest? if so, you are measuring, you just are not using a ruler. You are using your cut fabric to determine the size to cut the next piece(s). It's just like old fashioned quilters who used a cardboard template, not a ruler. If you are happy with the result, then you are all set. If eventually you do want to make a specific pattern you can always take a beginning quilting class at a quilt shop.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

If it works for you, then go with what works.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

It sounds as if you would really enjoy Gwen Marston's Liberated Quilter style. She has quite a few books out, traveling museum collections, workshops and teaching opportunities.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 PM

Quilting freestyle, that's what you do! My Mom was the same. I rarely follow a pattern, but do plan and cut carefully. One of my favorite quilts was the result of a cutting error. It took me in another direction and it turned out I loved it.

Just keep doing what makes you happy. Otherwise, what is the point?