Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A new "help" challenge for 2011

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Okay, Ladies and Gents,
    This idea is taken from another topic posted by Bettyrasm. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-97349-1.htm

This could be the new project from the board to continue along the lines of our Military Barracks Quilt Project that is nearly winding down. I hope many "someones" will take on the task of making, filling, and shipping these "Cool ties" to troops overseas. We kept them warm, now let's keep them cool!

Afghanistan is a particularly choice location for them. And if you want to continue to bless the Battalion we did with the quilts, I'll send out that address.

I'm not volunteering to head this project. I really believe we can do this individually. Imagine how many of these ties one could pack into a small APO Priority box; that rate to military members is cheaper than regular postage! The ties weigh next to nothing, the polymers that 'fill' them are incredibly light. I'm looking forward to sending a bunch out next month.

Instructions for making them are here: http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

I challenge you to start making, picturing, posting here, and shipping them!

Jan in VA

Where do you buy the polymer?

Now these are impressive projects. Thanks Jan and Bettyrasm. I think I will! Blessings, Ruth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37
    You can really buy it at Walmart! It is in the gardening section.
    I also bought it on ebay. It is very cheap.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37
    You can really buy it at Walmart! It is in the gardening section.
    I also bought it on ebay. It is very cheap.
    I remember when these first came out years and years ago - I was in Dallas, TX - we were told that 'some' of the polymers in the gardening dept. were full of chemicals which might be harmful if worn next to the body. Please be sure to read lables! I do have a feeling that was a 'disclaimer' meant to put people off from making these themselves, LOL!

Jan in VA