Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New bernina >

New bernina

New bernina

Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 PM

I love my Berninas, 440 with embroidery and an older 910 electronic (and a 1300 MDC serger). I did buy all of them used, however (the 440 and the serger were both 1 year old and very slightly used but also a very good price) The new Berninas are high priced and I doubt I would ever buy a brand new one, even though I do love the quality of the brand. I realize you are asking about the features and I can't say I have been in to look at the newest models, despite numurous enticing emails from my dealer.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM

I am looking for reviews on these machines as well. Can anyone give advice on how to get the "best deal". I see they are listing the MSRP, but how do we find the right dealer. If only my DH would tackle this like he's buying a new car.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM

We have the new 780 in our store right now so that the owner can demo the new design series. I haven't seen the 750 yet. You should find the best dealer in your area for a new Bernina. Store owners are not required to charge MSRP. Look at the Bernina web site and watch for their sales - particularly like the one that usually happens in the fall giving you 4 years to pay at no interest. Sometimes the LQS that sells Bernina will have pre-owned machines. The hardest part is figuring out how much machine you need and want.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have a Bernina 1260. I love it. It does everything I need it to do so a new Bernina isn't on my want list right now. If I had to have just one machine it would be a Bernina but why have just one? I have Brother, Janome, and Singer too. They all offer something different. Any new machine is amazing.
I love my 1260 and it is a real "work horse" plus I have the Artista 165 sewing/embroidery machine (only because a friend upgraded and gave me this machine). You can't beat Bernina. I also have a Bernette Serger and love it too. These machines have metal parts and last forever and ever. I have an Elna and an old Singer for backup machines, but have not had to use them yet. They are both cleaned and oiled if and when I need to use them.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
No and wont even look. IMHO Berninas are way overpriced. So many others to choose from out there.
I couldn't agree more. My dealer even thinks so and he sells berninas. From what he says they are more problem than they are worth. He says they are great when they are working
Old 09-27-2012, 10:34 PM

I had a look at the 780 last week at my dealers. I already have a 730 and wondered if it was worth the expense of trading up. To be honest although it has a new type of bobbin and is that little big larger in the "harp" area I didn't think I could justify the expense. I am also slightly worried that this machine would have similar teething troubles as the 830 when it first came out that I would wait and see how it behalved before taking any further action.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
No and wont even look. IMHO Berninas are way overpriced. So many others to choose from out there.
I have been quilting for 24 years and have 3 Bernina sewing machines. Yes, they are definitely pricey, but they are engineered to last. The machine I've had for 24 years runs as beautifully and smoothly as it did when I purchased it. I am diligent in having my machines serviced annually. My husband gave me the new 8 series machine for my 5 year breast cancer anniversary, and I am in love! The throat is HUGE, and there is absolutely nothing about this amazing machine that I don't love. My sister purchased a used 1260 and again, has had it now for over 10 years without a problem. I love the dual feed, the automatic needle threader and the bobbin cutter make FMQ a dream!!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM

Coke, Pepsi, get what YOU like. Awesome for any new sewing machine. I like Pfaff but I am sure there are more great sewing machines out there!!!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 PM

I have heard good things about the new 700 series, just out of my pocket range when I was investing in a sewing computer (see I am learning the lingo!) as well as a serger. Of course I have been buying feet left and right here to get everything I think I need for the moment. LOL I had a hay day with the book they put in with my 380 ---and now you can access it as a pdf ---- search Bernina for "Bernina Accessories Solutions for Your Ideas". Gives you a guide to machines assigning a letter then you go through and find all the presser feet and accessories that will work for your machine! I think my dealer loves me! LOL
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Bernina is the only DSM with a true stitch regulator. That was a big selling point for me. My machine is the 440QE, a bit older, but I've never regretted buying it. It makes free motion so much easier. (Although now I quilt on a longarm...)
I've had my 440 QE since it came out, never looked back......love it. I also have 1260, wouldn't give it up for the world.