Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New binding idea........ >

New binding idea........

New binding idea........

Old 08-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Default New binding idea........

The Paducah Pickle Dish quilt pattern in the Sept/Oct McCalls' quilting magazine has a "new to me" method of making the binding for a different effect. I just tried it on a small wallhanging and am fine with the idea. I wasn't as happy having the binding only measuring 2 1/4" before it is folded. It is just a little too narrow to make for easy application. the binding is sewn on the back, turned to the front and you stitch in the ditch. If you lift the little flap, you can see the first stitching. I would like that better if it covered a little more.

I know I am much happier with 2 1/2", folded to 1 1/4". I can sew the seam for joining the two strips with a scant 1/4" and have fabric to manipulate, but the addition of the seam allowance makes it thicker to work with. Barely 1/8" of the accent color shows. I would like it be be a little more. Has anyone else tried this yet? What did you think?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by IraJane View Post
The Paducah Pickle Dish quilt pattern in the Sept/Oct McCalls' quilting magazine has a "new to me" method of making the binding for a different effect. I just tried it on a small wallhanging and am fine with the idea. I wasn't as happy having the binding only measuring 2 1/4" before it is folded. It is just a little too narrow to make for easy application. the binding is sewn on the back, turned to the front and you stitch in the ditch. If you lift the little flap, you can see the first stitching. I would like that better if it covered a little more.

I know I am much happier with 2 1/2", folded to 1 1/4". I can sew the seam for joining the two strips with a scant 1/4" and have fabric to manipulate, but the addition of the seam allowance makes it thicker to work with. Barely 1/8" of the accent color shows. I would like it be be a little more. Has anyone else tried this yet? What did you think?
I posted this earlier but have added some thoughts and am wondering now if anyone else has tried it?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like Charismah's Quick machine binding with flange. Take a look in the tutorial section on QB and see if it is the same.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Look at 'angiequilts' blog site. I' m sure she has a tutorial on making this binding. This one the seam joining the two pieces are pressed towards the smallest area and they make a padding filling in the flange area. Some of the ladies tack in the ditch because they find they can't sew exactly in the ditch and cover the stitches under the flange. I have also seen a YouTube where 1inch and2inch strips joined, seams pressed open and then folded in half. Put onto the quilt in usual way BUT sewing on back first the pulling over and stitching. I am sure you can think of other ways. I often do a binding which is shown as a different colour each side.