Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New dilema >

New dilema

New dilema

Old 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM

Question New dilema

Now here is my new no sleeper. I have a beautiful radiance (silk and cotton) quilt that is scalloped amd needs a border. The 2 1/2 inch I cut out isn't working. too small to cover edge. so I plunged and got another yard. Now I'm not sure how to cut it. I've been looking at Jean Doan's continuous bias, but I want to make it twice as wide. 5 inches. I have a yard and am not sure if that is enough to get the job done/ Before I cut I need to know what will work. HELP!!!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 AM

I use Bonnie Hunter's method. I find it less confusing than some of the ways I've seen to cut bias binding. There is a formula there for calculating what you need, but you do need to add more for scallops. To be on the safe side, I'd buy an extra 1/2 or 1 yd.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...-bindings.html
Old 08-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

You didn't mention on how large of a quilt you are doing. I wish you had posted a picture. I have done at least 6 quilt using bias binding and I cut my 2.25" wide. But then I hand stitch my binding to the back.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jfowles View Post
Now here is my new no sleeper. I have a beautiful radiance (silk and cotton) quilt that is scalloped amd needs a border. The 2 1/2 inch I cut out isn't working. too small to cover edge. so I plunged and got another yard. Now I'm not sure how to cut it. I've been looking at Jean Doan's continuous bias, but I want to make it twice as wide. 5 inches. I have a yard and am not sure if that is enough to get the job done/ Before I cut I need to know what will work. HELP!!!!!
Point of clarification .............
Are you meaning border? or binding?
Seldom would you do a border on the bias .... binding yes, but seldom cutting at 5 inches.
Not that a binding cannot be made wider, but you need to think of the added problems that an unquilted wide binding might create.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 AM

I always use bias binding as a personal preference. This is the video that I used to learn how to prep the fabric to cut it out. I usually do 2 1/4" but I have used 2 1/2" at times.

http://blog.geneblack.com/2011/02/cu...-tutorial.html
Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I do not like to make continuous bias binding (the technique where you sew the fabric into a circle first) because it ends up with so many seams in it. When I make bias binding, I just cut straight strips the same way I always do (with a June Taylor shape cutter mat) except that the fabric is folded along the bias instead of the straight-of-grain.

Are the edges of your quilt already cut into scallops? It is more common to leave the edges of a quilt straight, mark the scallops, then sew your bias binding to the quilt following the lines. This is easier than trying to sew to a cut edge. Here is a tutorial that shows this (there are more if you Google, including Youtube videos:
http://www.ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/a...quilt-binding/

Are you sure that 5" wide strips will work on your scallops? If you have not done scallops before, I would definitely experiment with a sample quilt and bias fabric cut 5" wide to make sure your idea will work. Scallops are normally bound with thin strips of bias -- about 1.5" wide -- because the inside corners are so difficult. I don't believe I have ever seen wide binding on a scalloped edge. It is the scallops that vary in size -- the binding, not so much.

My guess is that a yard of fabric would probably be enough to bind a lap size quilt with scallops if the bias strips are cut a normal width (about 1.5"). I don't think a yard of fabric would be enough for a lap size quilt if the binding strips are cut 5" wide. What you need to do is take a tape measure to your quilt and measure around the edge; that will at least give you a starting estimate of the length of binding you will need (you will still need to add some inches for security).

I think the only way you are going to know if 5" binding strips will work is to try it out on a test quilt sandwich first. A lot depends on the size of your scallops. My best guess is that 5"-wide bias binding strips might work if the scallops are large and shallow; I'm thinking small and deep scallops require narrower binding.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 AM

Good resources for the binding. TY
Old 08-03-2014, 04:42 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...you will need to cut your border on the straight of grain. Sew to your quilt top, measure and mark your scallops but don't cut them until you are done quilting. Then sew on the scallop lines all the way around so that all layers are secured. You will cut your binding at 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 wide and that will need to be bias. You will have lots of grief if you try to put on a five inch binding. I like Jenny Doan's method of sewing the binding to the quilt. It works for me.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 AM

I think that 5" would be way too wide for a scalloped border.