Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Embroidery machine-Please help with advice! >

New Embroidery machine-Please help with advice!

New Embroidery machine-Please help with advice!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM

I bought a Babylock Emore before it was discontinued, and have been happy with it. BUT if I were to do it again, I would possibly go with the Janome 350E - partly because you can use a flash drive to transfer designs to it - makes it a lot simpler. I use Embird, and I find that it does everything I need to customize my embroidery designs, and it's reasonably priced. I have no desire to do any digitizing, but their digitizing software is reasonably priced too. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 AM

HI Ellietow, thanks..tell me I can see at some stage down the line I would like to do a multiple hoop embroidery as a centre panel for a quilt. Will the Janome 350 do this using the Embird software? The software with the Viking is fairly basic, but does do a multiple hoop resize. I think the Embird does a whole lot more though. I am just trying to think ahead at present to what I want to do, say 6-9 months down the line I hear great things about the Embird software but I know it will take time to learn!!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:00 AM

[QUOTE=irishphoenix;5504699]
My one reservation about the Viking, is that they have been taken over by Singer, and just my opinion, Singer are not the brand that they used to be. When they break down, like jlm said, that is the worry. Having to send it back to Washington after all the time spent trying to get it repaired is just awful.
--------------------------------
Not sure where you heard this at but Viking has not been taken over by Singer. Viking is still in charge. Even the machines that are being put together in Shanghi are all manufactured and governed by Viking in Sweeden. Not all machines are done in Shanghi, my Ruby was completely done in Sweeden. Yes, Viking does now have other companies under it. For me that's not a bad thing. Since Viking and Pfaff use the same 5D software I can add any of the Pfaff machines under my machine manager in my software and that will give me not only all the stitches, designs, etc that are available with the 5D software for Viking it also gives me the extra ones that are in there for Pfaff. I found this out last night and was amazed at how much extra I had just by doing that one little thing.

Someone said on here that Viking software is limited. You get a basic organizer with the machine which alot of machines don't come with any from what I've heard on here. You can then purchase 5D in three different versions depending on what you want to do and on top of that you can get extra modules to add to that.
I'm not saying that Viking is the best thing out there or only makes their machines but if you look around you'll find out alot of machines are being made by other companies, that's just the way things are. I also found out that Viking is coming out with a Ruby Deluxe so I can't wait to see what that'll do. Mine does alot so I know this one will do even more.
I did check my facts with my Viking rep. The Ruby, Diamond and deluxe are all on Vikings web site as being manufactured and made in Sweeden.
I realize especially with the price of software that not all can afford even the lowest one Viking or anyone else has to go with the machines. There are others out there. Sierra offers a full design software for free as a download or 15 if you order the CD. Florani has one for aroung 300; I'm getting that one free with a two day workshop that I signed up for in Oct. There are many out there to chose from depending on what you need. It took me almost a yr to buy a full software package and now I'm learning how to digitize and do all kinds of stuff. I get amazed each month at stuff that I can do now.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Hi there..Oh thanks very much for all your information regarding the Viking Machines. I knew my brain had started to turn to jelly..I have been looking at so many specs and different things that, I thought Viking was owned or taken over by Singer..so sorry for that but really appreciate all your great input about Vikings.
I guess I am really buying an entry level embroidery machine - would love one of the bigger ones but of course, but finances are always a constraint so I have to get the one that does the most for around the same amount of money.
I bet you are really looking forward to seeing the new Ruby, its exciting when manufacturers bring out a new product.

I didnt know that the 5D software worked with the Viking. My dealer has that but it is advertised as Pfaff.So I am learning more every day! I would really like at some stage to do my own designs and some digitizing like you,but realise I have to come to grips with the basics first as its my first embroidery machine, and it is going to take a lot of learning.I think its nice to know that there are many add -ons like digitizing and design that can be done with entry level machines and I wanted to buy a machine that I could grow with if that makes sense!!
So thanks again!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:02 PM

I heard the Vikings are not as user friendly. I have a Babylock and love it. Very easy to use, so are the Janome.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Singer is now owned by SVP Worldwide, which also owns the Pfaff and Husqvarna Viking brands (SPV stands for the 3 brands Singer, Viking, Pfaff). SVP is in turn owned by Kohlberg & Company.

http://www.svpworldwide.com/109.htm

There is a learning curve to whatever machine and software you choose. You will have to learn the basics of stabilizing, hooping and thread choices. Take classes if the dealer offers them, or research and watch Utube videos. You don't have to buy every type of stabilizer but try some different cut-away, tear-away, and water soluable products as each has it's place and you will find what you like. I choose to use only polyester thread rather than rayon because it is more colorfast and washable and I intended to use it on baby items that will get washed a lot. I did try some rayon at the beginning and got a lot more thread breakage. My biggest recommendation is to make sure you always do a test stitch out before doing the final product, at least when you are learning (ask me how I know!)

I have a Bernina 440QEE, and own the Bernina software to use with it. I can tell you both are expensive! I picked my machine as a quilter, bought it used and the package deal included the embroidery unit. I do love the embroidery now, and have a great number of projects in my mind. I wish I had the time to do them all ... but retirement is a few years off yet. Have fun with whatever you choose.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:29 AM

Hi Skyangel..thanks for all your info, very useful about the different stabilizers and thread. I have to confess, I havent been online in the past two weeks -I took the plunge and bought the Janome 350e!!!!! I was so excited..my dealer knows very little about them and I spent a while telling him what buttons to push-well actually what I said was..'why dont you press that button on the screen and see what happens'!!
So I am so grateful for all your help. I think I decided on the Janome for a couple of reasons. There are not that many machines in my price range- the Viking Ruby and designer look beautiful but out of my pocket at present..I heard so many good reports on the 350e and also I could download the manual on their site. I wasnt able to find the manual for the Viking model that is a half sewing and half embroidery machine. The learning curve on the 350e was easier for me as I already have a Janome Horizon for quilting so it is kinda similar witht he threading. i did spend out a bit extra on the janome Digitizer Jr, just to get to grips with some basic digitizing..I am going to get the Embird at a later date when I have mastered the softare I have already.
So I was like a child with a new toy this last ten days, and then I discovered emblibrary as well and have made a few things to go on pillowcases and a couple of little Christmas items. it is such fun...I am thinking of adding a small embroidery design panel to a quilt I am doing at present, so I have to buy thread and my dealer doesnt stock a lot only a few lines in the 200m Gutenberg Sulky Rayon.
I had to buy thread online, so started with some Madeira Classic thread and some tear away and water soluble stabilizer as well as a few designs..now I see what that lady says about the cost spiralling lol. Oh dear

Last edited by irishphoenix; 09-28-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Since I have gotten 'into' quilting I don't do much machine embroidering, however I own a Viking D-1 that served me well but is now out of touch as it used floppy disks and not compatable with my new computer. I still love it for the wonderful deco stitches it does. I use it for deco machine quilting on small quilts. Viking is a wonderful product.

I have since bought a Pfaff embroidery machine which is very nice also. I bought it for the walking foot that is built in.
It too is a wonderful machine.

I know a lady that does beautiful embroideries on a Pfaff machine for our church quilt ministry...I don't know what machine it is but it accomodates a large hoop.
My dealer told me that Viking and Pfaff have merged so they are one company now.
It ultimately will be your choice. Good luck..So many great machines for us to enjoy.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:38 PM

Hi Iofthe needle..that is it exactly..there are so many choices and as a newcomer I was really confused with all the different ones and how they related to each other. I am so glad I finally took the plunge and I ahve found that the Janome is relatively easy for me to set up start embroidering. I think it helped a lot having another janome too as the threading is quite similar.it is still a big learning curve but such fun alongside my quilting. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:21 PM

Congratulations! You will love your 350e! My dealer recommended Madeira polyneon thread. I buy it from sewphisticatedstitcher.com - their prices seem to be the best I've seen for the thread. And if you buy 48 spools of thread, you get a nice storage case free. (I am in no way affiliated with them; just a satisfied customer.)

I love Embroidery Library; their designs are wonderful. And they frequently have specials and sales. I also like designsbysick.com - I got a one-year membership for half-price, and can download as many designs as I want during that time. That's a good deal.

I also bought the Digitizer Jr. software, but haven't yet figured out how to use it. If you unlock the secrets for using it, please share!