Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Embroidery/sewing Machine >

New Embroidery/sewing Machine

New Embroidery/sewing Machine

Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
My problem with getting patterns from the internet is not being able to open them. Didn"T know that would be a problem, so before even trying, I downloaded lots of free designs in the right format, . Then when I did try, the files seem to be "zipped" and I don"t know how to unzip them. Can anyone help me with that?
If I double click on the zipped file, it automatically opens it. Once it is unzipped, a second folder is created. That is the one you will be using, you can then delete the zipped file :D:D:D
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 AM

I love Machine Embroidery...
I find that I use the 5x7 hoop the most.
I have the Duetta and just love that machine!
Kirsten
Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM

I think you were smart to get the less expensive machine. 11 years ago, I purchased an embroidery machine but never really got into the embroidery. I think I did no more than 1/2 dozen.

I love it as a sewing machine but could have saved a lot of money if I'd taken your path.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM

My problem with getting patterns from the internet is not being able to open them. Didn"T know that would be a problem, so before even trying, I downloaded lots of free designs in the right format, . Then when I did try, the files seem to be "zipped" and I don"t know how to unzip them. Can anyone help me with that?
What I do I have a brother machine to So what I do is Copy the zip files on a memory stick Then when you put the stick in your usb port of your machine will be able to read them.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 AM

I use a free program called WinRar for unzipping files. It seems to have more features than WinZip, and is easier to use.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:02 PM

most of those problems can be solved by using the proper backing
Old 01-27-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by annasmuv
I have a Brother 1250 and there are a few things that I don't like about it. 1st the embroidery patterns are very small and not in color. Sometimes it is difficult to determine what the pattern is. 2nd, mine is a sewing / embroidery machine and it is extremely sensitive to the kind of thread you use. Coats and Clark won't do. Has to be some of the more expensive thread. Thread gets caught when removing spool. always unthread from the top down. If you get any thread caught in the mechanism, you'll have to take to shop. I didn't know anything about embroidery either. If you reduce the size, most of the time, your piece will be ruined as the thread is loose in the pattern and balls up on the wrong side. If you use a pattern from online, chances are you will have problems there.

I have learned the hard way and have thrown away many items of clothing because of one of these problems.

Sounds like you have a more expensive machine and will work better for you than mine. Good luck.
some of these problems can be solved by using proper backing .