Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to EQ... how to get started? >

New to EQ... how to get started?

New to EQ... how to get started?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Does anyone know of a tutorial that actually tells you how to USE the thing? I've gone through the vids, the book, the help... and its all disjointed... here's what the features and buttons do.

That doesn't help me. I've never had EQ before and I dont' care how to do every little thing. What I want to do is set up a project quilt and actually 'make' it.

I'm trying to actually USE it to create a quilt.. .even a simple, 2 block quilt... so that I can figure out to use it for it's purpose. The instructions are great and detailed but don't show you how to work with it .. what, was the documentation designed by non-quilters?

lol... anybody know of good youtube videos or cheat sheets or anything? I am NOT a computer novice, nor am I a novice in using design software....
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I am in the same boat, so can't be of help, but hope someone else has a solution!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM

I just got my EQ6 today. Did the first two lesson, very slowly. Now I'm just playing around with what I learned. I too looked for videos to show me how to do things, couldnt find anything. Wish you lived closer we could tackle this thing together. Did yours come with the book? I find the book helpful. I spent the last hour trying to figure out how to print the quilt pattern now that I've designed one. Its just like with any new toy you have to play with it and make a few mistakes before you figure it out. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to try and help. Lots of luck to you!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM

I've got EQ5 and feel the same way...It just doesn't click for me either.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM

When I got my EQ6, I worked through a large section of the book and did the exercises until I had enough info that it started to gel for me. I got really frustrated a lot, but eventually everything started to make sense. The more I fooled with it, the more I understood.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 PM

Obviously... some quilty person should do a Quick and Easy How to USE EQ in real time... tutorial.

I bet we could make millions!

There's an EQ Users group in North Palm. I haven't been to it yet, since I'd feel really dumb... but perhaps I can check that out. Google the web and see what other EQ clubs are out there...?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 PM

quiltuniversity.com has an on-line class for the EQ6 which starts on Jan. 28. It's a four week class, I think. I signed up for it and am anxious to get started. You check it out.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 PM

I have been wanting one of the EQ series since it first came out but have not made the purchase yet. While I would love to have EQ7 I find the price a bit highand am thinking of purchasing EQ6 ass it is all new to me and possibly later purchase the upgrade to EQ7. Has anyone here done that? Certainly looks like we need an "EQ for technologically challenged quilters" book.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that EQ6 has limited activations. I don't know how many (I'm thinking it's 4) but once you use them up (like if you get a new computer, your computer crashes, etc) you have to pay for extra ones. EQ7 has unlimited activations but can only be on 2 computers at one time.