Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New equipment, help! >

New equipment, help!

New equipment, help!

Old 01-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Default New equipment, help!

Hi, I am new here. I recently invested in a Gracie queen frame & juki 2000qi. I am really enjoying the juki, but am finding the whole short arm quilting a challenge.

First, it took me a couple weeks to put the frame together. I'm glad I did it myself so I understand it better.

I played around with it a bit & felt discouraged so I ordered the stitch regulator. I'm still figuring it out, but I'm finding the learning curve steeper than I expected.

Any tips or words of encouragement? I'm thinking of just continuing to quilt as I go while practicing a bit to increase my skill on the frame, but I feel a little down.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Regardless of how you get into FMQ, it takes a lot of practice to get comfortable with the process and skilled at it. Just keep on plugging along. One thing I would say is to use community service quilts or something "not heirloom" to cut your teeth on. Children in hospitals won't care if the stitches are perfect. As you get familiar with the equipment, you will amaze yourself at the improvements. Hang in there - the payoff is worth it.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 PM

Thanks! I will.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 PM

just keep at it. As MadQuilter said, it takes practice to build the skills. I've been FMQ for years and still make a practice sandwich before I start and I still have a long way to go.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:03 PM

I didn't know juki did a stitch regulator . I have a grace frame with a juki machine. Love the combination. It does take time to get the fabric tension and you comfortable with the system. I would advise you only quilt on the frame in small sections. I did 3 hours without a break and could hardly move for the next few days. Take a break and enjoy and practice practice and practice.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I have FMQd about a hundred quilts and I am not perfect at it yet. I wish I had a stitch regulator. Don't know if that would really help or not. I give most of my quilts away. I need to just practice more before I start.
Welcome to the board lots of help and opinions here.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:48 PM

Juki doesn't have a stitch regulator. But if you go to Ebay and look at the stitch regulators you can find one that is compatible. I got one and it has made a lot of difference. The Juki goes so doggone fast anyway, this really slows it down. Make a sample quilt and practice, practice, practice. If you start to feel discouraged, stop and go do something else. In time, you will see good results. One website suggested to practice on a dry erase board, drawing different designs, then try it with the machine. You will do fine. Don't give up.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 AM

My philosophy is that every quilt I make is a rehearsal for the next quilt. You will find your FMQ improving as you go. Charity quilts are great....you get to try out different FMQ ideas. When I took my first quilting class, the teacher said "Just do it!" And not to obsess about perfection.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:06 AM

Welcome to the board. Like all the others have said, just keep practicing. Make sandwich quilts and just practice on them, whatever size you need, if you don't feel comfortable enough to do charity quilts. I got a mid-arm frame last year and a Juki 2010Q and I was hesitant and afraid they would look bad, so I did a few quilts for me last fall and it is so much easier to FMQ now. Do take breaks and if you get frustrated, walk away and come back. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I have a Juki and recently started leaving my feed dogs UP during FMQ. It really makes a difference in how even and nice my sts are. I use the little hoop foot and set the st length to zero, but leave the feed dogs up.