Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Fabrics >

New Fabrics

New Fabrics

Old 01-11-2011, 10:02 AM

I would call the post office first. It's not the shippers fault. The people handling the mail need to be more careful.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 AM

luvTooQuilt and DebbyT - I agree completely. Been there and done that. Doesn't help. The carrier doesn't care. She just doesn't like her job. I've actually seen her kick people's boxes out of the back of her truck. The PO itself also doesn't care. Not much I can do, other than move. I pick UPS shipping whenever I can.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The shipper does not have any control over the package once it leaves their hands. If it has been handled roughly that is the fault of the carrier.

Sometimes packages get caught in the sorting machinery and that damages them. It's a good thing that the package did not get ripped completely open because then the fabric might have been lost.

The odor might be completely unrelated to the shipping issue. Some of the finishes that are put onto fabrics are smelly, and some of those will wash out, and others will not.

Personally I have rarely had the odor issue with the top quality fabrics. Usually it is on the lesser quality brands where this happens.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM

USPS Priority Mail Envelope is what it came in. This package damage came during its getting here, but there was nothing wrong with the fabric which had been inside a plastic bag inside the envelope. However the fabric with the bird prints just really reaks. It may just be because it was double wrapped in plastic and couldn't breathe because after the damage the whole pack was then sealed tightly in another plastic bag. I'm hoping by airing it, some of the stink will dissipate, but will definitely be washing it before working with it. It's not the fault of the fabric shop.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM

Personally I have rarely had the odor issue with the top quality fabrics. Usually it is on the lesser quality brands where this happens.
Nan - Favorite Fabrics We ship internationally!

www.FavoriteFabric.com

~~~ Only need a LITTLE bit? Our minimum cut is 1/4 yard on most fabrics! ~~~
Read our blog or follow us on Facebook.

It is a Cranston fabric & having been a buyer in yrs past, I know they're a top line. It's beautiful fabric.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:58 AM

I ordered some fabric and the package got wet -- package was red and blue -- and when it got wet the colors ran onto the fabric. Could not get it out. I called the quilt store and they said it was not their problem, it was the post office that should reimburse me. Obviously, that didn't happen. Have not and will not order from them again. I now request ALL my fabric be placed in plastic before shipping.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by fish2quilt
I ordered some fabric and the package got wet -- package was red and blue -- and when it got wet the colors ran onto the fabric. Could not get it out. I called the quilt store and they said it was not their problem, it was the post office that should reimburse me. Obviously, that didn't happen. Have not and will not order from them again. I now request ALL my fabric be placed in plastic before shipping.
I am very thankful this company shipped in plastic because I'd have had ruined fabric no doubt the way this pack was obviously soaked & destroyed. Thankfully fabric was perfect & gorgeous. Just stunk bad. I aired it outside yesterday all day & it didn't seem so bad last night, so I'm thinking it might have been because of the double wrap when USPS rewrapped in plastic after being damp. My husband suggests spritzing with Fabreeze to get rid of any residual odor, but there really isn't too much now. I think washing will do the trick at this point.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 AM

Sounds like a carrier error, something spilled on the package.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Banned

Wow, what a shame this happened to you. I agree that it sounds more like a delivery problem than the shop's fault. Sadly, I've also had to deal with "carriers with attitude". But everyone has a boss. If you aren't getting satisfaction complaining to your mail carrier or the local post office itself, I suggest finding out who to contact at the next level up. Good luck - and I'm glad at least that aside from the unpleasant smell, your fabrics still arrived in good condition.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by Momma_K
I've orderd loads of fabrics and never had that problem...I'd make a call and demand a refund before doing anything with it. :hunf:
Me too, if it isn't packaged any better than that I wouldn't take it. Send it back and let them smell it!!!

:thumbdown:
Whoa, ladies! How about finding out what happened first?!