Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Here With A Question >

New Here With A Question

New Here With A Question

Old 09-11-2014, 05:20 PM

You know, i have 2 machines in my basement that belonged to my great grandmother. One has the receipt in the cabinet drawer and it was purchased in 1932. One is not electric, it's an old black Singer. The other is tan colored of i remember right and it is electric. When i was in girl scouts as a kid i used to use the black one to sew my badges on but haven't used it since then and the belt is rotted. I've never thought about using them for some reason. Maybe after i get my baby lock back i will see if they can get the electric machine running.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
You know, i have 2 machines in my basement that belonged to my great grandmother. One has the receipt in the cabinet drawer and it was purchased in 1932. One is not electric, it's an old black Singer. The other is tan colored of i remember right and it is electric. When i was in girl scouts as a kid i used to use the black one to sew my badges on but haven't used it since then and the belt is rotted. I've never thought about using them for some reason. Maybe after i get my baby lock back i will see if they can get the electric machine running.
Welcome to the quilting board. If you decide to "help" your vintage machines back to life there is a lot of good help in the Vintage Machine section of the board. They have helped me and many others with their knowledge and support. Usually all the machines need is a good cleaning and oiling.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:41 PM

I took a class with Eleanor Burns where we made a Log Cabin quilt using a serger. It was fun, but not exactly accurate and I vowed that I would never make another serger quilt.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Do a search on your local Craigs List to find a cheap, back up machine.
I agree, I just learned to quilt but I do have 4 machines just from when I made clothes.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:55 AM

Now you know why a lot of us have more than one sewing machine. My back up machine is Singer 301, bought when they were cheap. I have a treadle machine too.
I've tried piecing a quilt top with my serger and didn't like it.
Sharon in Texas