Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: New idea to ensure 1/4" seam allowance

Quote Originally Posted by lilacquilt View Post
    Everyone knows about layering pieces of masking tape on the bed of your sewing machine to create an "edge" for your fabric to ride as you sew. I use a different method which is much more accurate and leaves NO residue. Buy a package of 3M Command Removable Mount Strips (Small size is what I use) and use that to mark the exact measurement of your seam allowance. You may need to trim the right-hand edge and a corner to make it fit your needs but it's easy to cut, pulls off cleanly with NO residue and is just the right thickness for your fabric to ride along. These strips are usually in the hardware section of your big-box stores but at this time of year you'll also find them in with Christmas items as they are great for hanging decorations that you want to remove after the holidays.
    Love the tip! thanks
    Love 4 stchen

I have a t-gauge that is my favorite thing to use. Before I got it, I would use Post-it notes...tear off about 3 or 4...stays in place pretty good and no residue whatsoever. I have had residue with painter's tape...but to get around that when I used it I would stick to my jeans and peel away two or three times. That took care of it being overly sticky.

Blog Entries
    Great idea if you have a dark enough sewing bed. I use blue painter's tape due to eye condition that makes it hard to see white on white and black on black.
    Joyce

Command strips work GREAT!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5