Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Laundry Detergent >

New Laundry Detergent

New Laundry Detergent

Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
My quilts are washed in whatever detergent I am using. When they are given away you can bet that the recipient will not use a special detergent/ soap for quilts so they better hold up to normal washing!

That's what I was thinking.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 AM
T.

If it's really no-sort, it would be fantastic!
I have had a brown piece of lace and a some black and dark blue pieces of material bleed the color really bad First thing I do is soak the material in some vinegar & rinse it until the water runs almost clear & then still watch it for at least five washes.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I always tell the people that gets a quilt from me to wash it on gentle cycle, any detergent, no bleach, in warm water, tumble dry. Do not hang a big quilt to dry, some of the stitching will most likely break.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:53 AM

I sort but by weight so the lightweight fabrics are not dried to death in the dryer. Other than that .... not so much. My quilts have to be wash a wear or none of my family could use them....10 grandkids! I love it that way, I make them to be loved and used!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 AM

hmmmm, that being said I have 2 tops put together by my grandmother that I will be quilting for my brother and sister for Christmas. they will be given with very specific directions!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 PM

haven't tried it. will look for it next shopping trip
Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I do NOT use ANY commercial laundry detergents for washing my quilts. I use only the ones made specifically for washing quilts.
Is there such a thing as quilt only detergent? I am fairly new to quilting. But don't remember ever seeing such a thing when shopping for detergent. Can you tell us the name and where to buy it?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I make my own detergent too. Five gallons at a time. Give half to my friend. For some reason I ordered 2 cases of Fels Naptha soap on line. I've got enough to make detergent till the world looks level. Go figure. My daughter uses Ivory soap in her detergent and gets good results.
This reminds me of my mother - she always had some Fels Napha around. She must have loved doing laundry...she spent an entire day in the basement washing clothes...well most of one anyway.

Our clothes never had stains or spots, she had a remedy for everything. She still hung her clothes out on a line in the 80s...maybe even later...and we lived in a pretty posh neighborhood! She was the only one. But the clothesline was never out except for laundry day. She also hung clothes in the basement in the winter. I miss the smell of her towels and bed linens... reminiscing!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by newBe View Post
Tide did well in the August 2014 Consumer Reports rating of laundry detergents.
That doesn't make it smell any better!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:59 PM

I like Gain because I love the scent. I have tried the cheaper products such as Sun, Purex, Ajax, etc. and my clothes just don't get clean. I have a new washer that uses the pods. I can't believe that little pod cleans and softens as advertised and am going back to the liquid. I use Tide if it is cheaer than the Gain. I really think it makes a difference.