Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine debate...help!! >

New machine debate...help!!

New machine debate...help!!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:37 PM

Default New machine debate...help!!

Ok so I'm planning to get a new machine in the bear future and there are 2 different ones I've been looking at. One is the Bernina Aurora 440qe with the embroidery module, the other is the Bernina bernette Chicago 7. I know the 440 was a more expensive model when it was new and now they no longer make it. Right now I'm able to get it used of course for 1600. Went to my local quilt shop today and looked at the Chicago 7. I was told after thanksgiving they were going to have a great deal and offer them for 799. It as well has the embroidery module. Which do you guys believe is a better model and why? I like the fact that the 440 plugs straight into the computer for the embroidery feature vs having to download it on a usb and plug the usb into the machine like on the Chicago 7. I'm torn on which to get and which really is a better overall machine....opinions are much needed!!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Um, no... the 440 is outdated, and we haven't sold them as embroidery machines for a long time. It's a fabulous machine for sewing, but it's much nicer to be able to download to at usb stick. Really, you don't want to have to be hooked up to a laptop computer to do embroidery. You'd be better off getting a 560. The price on that is around $3,000 with the embroidery module. I would avoid the Bernette Chicago 7 like the plague. A Bernette is not a Bernina. Quality on a Bernette is not any where near what a Bernina's quality is. My Dream machine is a Bernina 630. It takes the usb stick, has an oscillating hook system, and is a very solid, well-built machine.

Good Luck in your search!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 AM

My dealer does not recomend the Chicago .....it is NOT really a Bernina. The 440 is outdated but can be repaired if need be. What do you plan to do with the machine? If you are only going to straight sew and do a few fancy stitches, then I say go for the 440. Do you want an embroidery machine? Look into the newer models, but be prepared to pay more. IF you want to embroidery.....do LOTS of homework.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:28 AM

I have a Bernina 440 without the emb unit and a Bernina 880 with embroidery. The 880 has had some issues, being that it is brand new and somewhat finicky so I use the 440 whenever the 880 (Diva) is having her issues. I really believe the 440 would work under water! That is the best machine, great to take to classes. She's a little heavy but that is because she has all metal parts. The Chicago 7 is a Bernette, it is not a Bernina and there is a world of difference! If I had to choose between just those two, it would be the 440 hands down. If you want a machine that is still being manufactured by Bernina, look at the 500 series. Remember, quality is not cheap but it will save you money and grief in the long run. If you sew a lot, get the very best you can afford, even if it means financing your machine. I've seen more potential seamstresses and quilters throw up their hands and quit because they had machines that constantly broke down or had tension issues, etc. With today's technology that is just not necessary. Go for quality, and yes, it always costs more. Just my opinion.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the replys. I will mainly be using it for quilting and just little sewing projects. I want the embroidery attachment so I can add little embroidery designs to the quilt if I wanted to. I will defiantly look into to 560. Quiltedsunshine when you say your dream machine is the 630 are you talking about the artista 630? Right now using an old brother vx-930 and it does what I want it to for the most part but I'm
Limited on what I can do. I had not even considered to Chicago 7 until I went to my local quilt shop and the dealer there was praising it. I'm glad you guys told me to avoid it. It really did sound to good to be true so I should of known lol.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:35 AM
Jim

My wife has a Bernette...I don't like it at all....I'll stick with my Brother's
Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 AM

The shop will praise the Chicago because they want to sell them. I've heard of many people buying them and then having problems and calling Bernina just to be told its not thier machine and offer no support. Check you area and look around you may find a good deal else where. Make sure it has a good warranty and good customer support is so important.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I would also check into where the DSM was manufactured. I have an old Bernina 1530 made in Switzerland and I STILL LOVE IT !! NO problems at all !!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 AM

I bought a 780 and when I had it in for an update, my dealer waited on another customer since I wasn't in a hurry. While he was busy I sat down to play with the Bernette's. After he was done with the other customer, he came over to me and said he hated to hear me sewing on the Bernette's. They said they will never sell me a Bernette. They sounded very rough and you could tell the quality just wasn't there. Save your money and invest in a Bernina, you don't have to go high end, just what you can afford.
Chris
Old 11-03-2014, 05:58 AM

Or you can look at the Brother/Babylocks. Very easy to learn and operate - if you are going to be a once in a while embroiderer that is important. The Brother/Babylocks should be having some good sales since they just came out with their latest and greatest.
I agree about the frustration of sewing on a machine that isn't fun or reliable. Get the best you can for your money.