Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine dilema! >

New machine dilema!

New machine dilema!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:46 AM

Features on a machine that you dont even know about can amaze you.
My Viking Sapphire has auto foot lift when in needle down mode. I love this feature and use it all the time. The foot lifts just a small amount when you stop sewing and automatically goes down when you start sewing.
It is a computerized machine and has lots of stitches that I hardley ever use.
It has a drop in bobbin which I love and a 10 inch throat.
So check out features on machines to decide what you really want.
I just wish I had upgraded to the embroidery model but it was out of my budget.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 AM

I am totally a Brother machine lover. When I bought my machine I made a list of things that it had to have and what price I wanted to pay for it and went from there. Everything else on the machine was a huge plus. I don't travel to quilting functions with it so weight was not on my list. But if it was, I would go with a Walmart travel machine so you don't ruin your good one with an accidental drop or bump. My dream machine is out there, just still saving for it, and it is a brother!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have two Vikings and a Bernina. My Bernina has a needle up/down, self threader, self cutter, dual foot (which I love), good lighting, lots of stitches (which I don't use), knee foot lift, pressure foot adjustment (which I also love), and attachable table. It has so many bells and whistles that I go to YouTube and watch 21 videos on it. I will never use 1/10 of them. But the parts I use, I love, so I am happy I have it. My Vikings didn't have any of these and I got along fine without them though. Now I don't see how I could sew without them.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

I bought two machines on the internet and bought one for my Daughter also. Only bought one from a dealer, I don't like that place and won't go back. All are straight stitch only machines with large throats for home quilting. If only a straight stitch machine should be very easy to use, unless you haven't sewn before. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions/ideas. I'm leaning toward a Bernina but just have to convince the conservative side of me to fork over the money for it.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Well, I finally decided on a Janome MC6600P. The closest dealer is 2 hours away, but that's ok. They were great to work with. I got my new machine and a new grandbaby both in the same day (Wed, 10/3/12). Life is sweet and God is so good!

Originally Posted by QuiltinNana View Post
A person could drive themself completely insane trying to figure out what kind of sewing machine to buy!