Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine-Tension Issues >

New Machine-Tension Issues

New Machine-Tension Issues

Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Default New Machine-Tension Issues

Well, I went and did it and purchased a Brother PC420 PRW which the Brother Dealers consider an "internet/Walmart" machine. I got it because of 294 built in stitches, auto thread cutter, knee lift, etc. Anyways, I tried it out yesterday with a black bobbin and white top thread. For the life of me, I could not get the tension adjusted to not show the black bobbin thread on top. In the instructions, it said that meant that the top tension was too tight. I went all the way down to zero and it was still doing it. Am I expecting too much of this machine to not show any black threads on top? I'm also kind of disappointed in the built in decorative stitches and letters as they don't look much like what they are supposed to. It's not a problem to return this machine through Amazon but I would really like to keep it since it has such nice features, but, not if it isn't going to stitch nicely. I tried different fabric and thread also with the same results. This machine was really highly rated...am I expecting too much do you think? I got it mostly for the built in stitches because I am tired of hooping everything to add much pizazz to things.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

I think that this is one of the hardest tension issues to solve. I have found that when two colors that are that different
they always look like pokies!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Is there really a problem with the tension, or are you just seeing the black thread through the hole made by the needle? If the latter, then washing the quilt will probably close up the hole. Be sure that your needle is sharp and that it isn't larger than necessary for the thread.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 PM

You can tighten the bottom tension. Just turn the screw very small amounts and check the stitch often. Go back to the center on your top tension and try to match the bottom to that.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM

Check that you have loaded your bobbin correctly before adjusting any tensions. And also, check that your top thread is threaded correctly and that it's not caught up somewhere
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Is there really a problem with the tension, or are you just seeing the black thread through the hole made by the needle? If the latter, then washing the quilt will probably close up the hole. Be sure that your needle is sharp and that it isn't larger than necessary for the thread.
This maybe the case because my brothers don't really get too many tension issues
Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 PM

If you're not happy with the stitch quality, send it back and go to your local dealer to try different machines out.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM

This is the problem with not buying from a dealer. A dealer fixes everything and explains everything. Otherwise you have to know how to do it yourself. I wish you luck.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM

First check all your thread paths. Then check the bobbin tension. If the thread is pulling easily, you need to tighten the bobbin tension. If I were in this situation this is what I would do:
1. Check the threading
2. Check to make sure bobbin is not in upside down
3. Change to a smaller needle

If none of the above works, then change bobbin tension.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 AM

Smile

Thank you all for your help...the stitches look ok, it's just that the black thread crossed the white in making the stitch. On the special stitches, I was seeing a lot of black. Maybe it's just me being too picky or like many said, the needle too big and I'm seeing the black thread through the hole...I used the needle that came with it...

I went to the authorized Brother dealer to try to test drive a machine to kind of see where they had the tension settings and what the stitch looked like (although I didn't tell them that!) and unless I planned on paying over a thousand dollars, I couldn't even demo it. I had asked to demo a lower end Brother. The Babylock Elizabeth was the cheapest he could show me with a price of $699 and not all the features that this Brother has... I hate sewing machine dealers! They rank right there with used car salesmen!

You all have restored my faith in the machine and I'm set to try again!

Last edited by SUZAG; 03-21-2012 at 05:01 AM.