Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Marking Spray for Quilts >

New Marking Spray for Quilts

New Marking Spray for Quilts

Old 07-01-2015, 04:08 AM

Default New Marking Spray for Quilts

Just opened an e-mail from Annie's this morning. They have a new Marking Aerosol Spray to use with quilting guide templates, sells for $15.99 plus shipping. Has anyone used such a product before and if so did you like it? I use the washable Crayola markers, but just wondering about the spray.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I used something that sprayed purple through the stencil. I can't remember what it was, but spraying on has its own set of issues, like overspray, washing the stencils, etc. I think I used it once. Maybe this product will be better.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I didn't care for the pounce chalk so I am not sure I would like a spray. I assume that with Annie's selling it, they have tested it out for it's efficiency.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I used something that sprayed purple through the stencil. I can't remember what it was, but spraying on has its own set of issues, like overspray, washing the stencils, etc. I think I used it once. Maybe this product will be better.
That's the same experience I had. Tried it on a sample, never did use it for a quilt.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM

I like those Frixion pens best.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:06 AM

I, too, am a Crayola Washable Marker gal but I bought an aerosol spray at JoAnns' from June Tailor marked "Quilter's Stencil Marking Spray" in a blue can, but haven't used it yet. It is WHITE for marking on dark fabrics and I thought it might stay better than pounced chalk. I think my LA used it but cautioned to spray lightly. It supposedly comes out in the wash. I would try it first on a sample.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 AM

I have used a spray chalk. It was really expensive in my opinion. It took more and a can for a quilt. It also caked up on the stencil and was hard to remove from the stencil. The chalk cracked and flaked off in places. I would not recommend the spray chalk. I was lucky that someone gave it to me for free.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:26 PM

I tried the white spray and it was a mess. the lines were not that defined and it gets all over the stencil. Definitely not what i was hoping for. I brought it back and got a refund. I think I have the Crayola markers... I was worried the lines wouldn't wash out? , so I hadn't tried them yet but I thought I read another thread where others say they are great. I will have to find them and try them out.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:52 PM

I have purchased the Magic Marking Spray from Quilting Creations a few times. It was much faster than using the washable markers that I am currently using

http://www.quiltingcreations.com/sto...ID=&SKU=MM100S

I feel like its an added expense and I can't get myself to buy it again. I did have to wash the stencils afterwards, while sometimes when I use the markers I don't feel like the stencils need washed.

The spray did go on a little uneven - thicker in spots (I think that was how I was spraying it.)

I would use it again if the price was lower
Old 07-03-2015, 02:55 AM

I have used the frixion pens exclusively for several years and I have never had a problem with them. I love them, they iron off and don't come back. Love them.