Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilt in Progress from Dunster's EQ7 Posting DP using S&W Method >

New Quilt in Progress from Dunster's EQ7 Posting DP using S&W Method

New Quilt in Progress from Dunster's EQ7 Posting DP using S&W Method

Old 06-25-2014, 02:35 PM

this is totally fabulous!!! one I would add to my someday bucket list for sure.
But I do have a question or two. How do you go about picking fabric prints for the effects it gives. Do you use medium or large prints only? Does the length of the blades dictate the size of print? Just curious.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
this is totally fabulous!!! one I would add to my someday bucket list for sure.
But I do have a question or two. How do you go about picking fabric prints for the effects it gives. Do you use medium or large prints only? Does the length of the blades dictate the size of print? Just curious.
The fabric has a 24" repeat. There is a lot of white in the background but it has a lot of color and bold designs with lots of swirls and movement. Originally I had planned to alternate the blocks with the blue Pondicherry in the line. However, I decided the prints were too dissimilar in appearance for it to flow smoothly. I stacked the fabric, cut out the repeats of which there are six. I didn't have 12 repeats hence the center one had to employ a technique of alternating blades from two stacks to have enough. I auditioned the surrounding plates using just one stack of fabric, but decided it was not going to work the best. So decided to alternate all of them and it has sort of a lacy effect, I think. The original pattern in the book shows a very dark and a very light "path" but because of the fabric, I couldn't do that. I have never made a stack and whack with narrower repeats than 24" so don't know how it would work out to make 10" blades. I would think a 12 inch repeat would work.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
A month or more ago, I saw a wonderful picture of a quilt on Pinterest or Google. Asked a question about the pattern and one suggested I email, which I did. In the meantime, Dunster rode to the rescue and posted the drawing from EQ7. So I got busy and from my own EQ7, decided on the length of the blade template and cut the thing out while my machine was being fixed. So here it is still in the pinned stage to audition flow, etc., before I applique and do all the rest. But I am pretty pleased as I had originally intended something totally different until I saw the picture and thought the fabric would lend itself better to this. The fabric is Pondicherry from Timeless Treasures which I found on sale at Paducah's for like $5/yd. So I am happy twice.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480186[/ATTACH]All the wedges and auditioning color flow.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480187[/ATTACH]
Trying them on the fabric and rearranging them several times.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480189[/ATTACH]
Trying to get it right.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480190[/ATTACH]
Tada! The proposed project waiting to be finished. If anyone sees a glaring problem, please let me know before I start appliquing. I haven't decided whether to use a gold colored fabric for the circles or use the fabric that it is placed on and I am leaning that way. BTW, the book is "Magic Quilts by the Slice" authored by Bethany Reynolds. I got it from Amazon. Hope you enjoy, and thank you to those who pointed me in the right direction and to Dunster for the picture. I did enlarge the blocks so it should finish 80x80.
That is beautiful..
Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 PM

Great quilt! Thanks for sharing your pattern and process, as well!