Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Quilter -squaring up a nine patch question

I am very new to quilting, and my project is a disappearing nine patch. I'm making it out of charm packs and some 5 in squares I cut myself. So, my nine patches are made out of 5 in squares and I'm stuck. I have all of the nine patches made and pressed, but I can't figure out the dimensions to square up each nine patch. Can you help me? Pretty please?

My inner patch measures 4.5 inches, but the outside patches will be sewn together, so I need to leave a 1/4 inch for the seam, right?? :?:

Yes. Using 5 inch blocks you should have a measurement of 4.75 + 4.5 + 4.75 for a total of 14" for the unfinished blocks before you cut them into quarters.

Blog Entries
    If you're using 5" squares the nine patch block w/ outside seam allowances should measure 14". That is before the 9 patch is cut and resewn.

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    Yes. Using 5 inch blocks you should have a measurement of 4.75 + 4.5 + 4.75 for a total of 14" for the unfinished blocks. When you get it in a quilt the finished size would be 13 1/2".
    Thank you!!

Whoops! I was editing when you quoted.
    That 13.5 will not be the finished size in a quilt. I forgot about cutting and resewing but the 14" is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    Whoops! I was editing when you quoted.
    That 13.5 will not be the finished size in a quilt. I forgot about cutting and resewing but the 14" is correct.
    gotcha! Thanks again. :)

Blog Entries
    I would like to compliment you on your ability to state your question in the way you did.
    Seems to me you were very precise and said exactly what they needed to know to be able to help you.
    Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    I would like to compliment you on your ability to state your question in the way you did.
    Seems to me you were very precise and said exactly what they needed to know to be able to help you.
    Good job!
    Thank you! I have to give the credit to my quilting teacher. I'm taking a beginning quilting class and have had only one formal lesson so far, but I've learned a lot. She told me to stop and ask someone the moment I become confused.

I really appreciate the help. :)

Pam
    Great advice! I bet she is a good teacher. It is a lot easier to learn some thing WITHOUT getting yourself totally frustrated.

My ruler is not large enough so I make a cardboard template 14" and use it to square up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast