Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter >

New quilter

New quilter

Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Default New quilter

HI all, I am making my very first quilt! I have been sewing for 50 years just never made a quilt before. I have decided to make quilts for my kids for Christmas. I have finished one which is more of a comforter. My question is this: How many blades do you go through for one quilt? I am making a Bargello and I have used 3 of the 5 packs already, it is a very large quilt but my goodness if you spend $60.00 on blades for one quilt it makes the project kind of expensive. I guess I am hoping somebody has a trick or sharpening tool or a bargain site for buying them,,,thanks in advance for hopefully some help, Arlene
Old 05-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I do not know about sharpening them, but when mine start to "miss" a bit, I bear down harder because I do not want to put new ones in all the time. I am lucky that my sister gave me some, so I do feel too badly about eventually changing blades.

Several people in the group have given opinions about sharpening them. Hope someone sees this and has an answer on that part of it for you.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM

I don't change blades that often. I do the same as BOSTON1954, just bear down harder. I did get a special ruler that supposedly sharpens your blade as you cut, but it's not very see-through, and it's too hard for me to see my fabric under it.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 PM

I generally use one blade with each (queen sized) quilt and work a little harder at it as I go (unless working with flannel).
Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM

I use about one blade for one quilt. Sometimes I can get many quilts from one blade, but not if it is a Bargello. I just finished a full sized Bargello and it took one blade. I can't help but think something is wrong if it is taking you that many blades. Are you cutting on a mat? I use an Olfa mat. Maybe that makes a difference. I wouldn't think that holding the rotary cutter wrong could make a difference...but maybe that is it? Could you be holding it wrong?

I am sure that someone here will have a better idea of what could help you, but something just doesn't sound right. I use Fiskars blades. Maybe that makes a difference? Or maybe you accidentally put in two blades at once. That would make them not cut right...

I have not heard of anyone being real excited about the blade sharpeners that are available, but I bet that there are those here who do know of places to buy larger amounts at a discount. I just buy mine at Walmart.

Warning about this hobby. It is addictive....(and not cheap). I have been a sewer for 50 years and started quilting 4 years ago. I just finished my 75th quilt. (like I said, addictive...)

Welcome to the hobby.

Dina
Old 05-20-2014, 04:00 PM

Sometimes you can turn the blade over in your holder and get just a bit more out of it. I too, use about one every 1-2 king or queen quilts. I am working on a DWR now and it's wanting to eat the blades for lunch....lots of cutting, that one.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 PM

I have cut material for 5 quilts and still have a sharp blade. What cutting surface are you using? Is is a soft self-healing mat like the green Olfa? Seems like there must be something on your cutting surface or mat that is dulling or nicking your rotary blade.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 PM

My goodness I never use that many blades for 5 quilt tops. I have used one blade for 2 or 3 easily. I buy the titanium ones from Fiskars and they seem to really last a long time.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM

I can usually get at least 6 - 10 quilts out of a blade. I use the Martelli Blades in my martelli cutter on a Martelli mat.

I think either you do not have a very good mat and it's dulling your blades or there is something wrong with the blades or cutter.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

I have found that if you have one of those white mats, they seem to dull the blade quicker.
A self healing mat will keep your blade a bit sharper. The only other thing I can think of is if you are using a poly blend rather than 100% cotton fabric.