Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to quilting and need advice >

New to quilting and need advice

New to quilting and need advice

Old 01-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by bezzie1958 View Post
Dina that yellow quilt is awesome
Thanks! You probably can't tell, the the one of the yellow fabrics is full of bumble bees. I thought it was cute. I sent this quilt on to tornado victims in Moore, OK, a year or so ago. I hope it made someone smile, at least a little.

Dina
Old 01-07-2015, 04:11 PM

How about a quit kit! There are many out there and already have the coordinating fabric. You don't have to make quilts from kits going forward but one kit will help with the frustration and with seeing how some fabrics coordinate. Try your local library for books suggesting guidelines for choosing fabrics. Purchase a quilting magazine or two and look through them (several times) they always give me great ideas. Happy Quilting!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:49 PM

I think each quilt starts with an idea of some kind. You need a quilt for a particular room, you want to make one for a particular person, you see a fabric that inspires you, you see a pattern that inspires you, you have a particular theme in mind, etc. I would say, decide on your idea -- the purpose of the quilt -- and that will lead you to pattern and/or fabric. You did a great job on your first quilt. Congratulations!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I think each quilt starts with an idea of some kind. You need a quilt for a particular room, you want to make one for a particular person, you see a fabric that inspires you, you see a pattern that inspires you, you have a particular theme in mind, etc. I would say, decide on your idea -- the purpose of the quilt -- and that will lead you to pattern and/or fabric. You did a great job on your first quilt. Congratulations!
Great advice here. That's typically my mindset as well.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 AM

Wash fa bric
Old 01-08-2015, 03:23 AM

There is an adorable quilt shop in Clarksburg, Classic Quilt. Go there everytime I go home and Janet is a great help. Do start with a pattern you like and work around colors you prefer. Good luck
Old 01-08-2015, 04:56 AM

Default New to quilting

Originally Posted by Littletree View Post
Hi! I am new to quilting and from WV. I have completed one quilt which I posted today. WV quilt. I would like to get started on another quilt but get so overwhelmed with all the choices of fabrics and colors, choices of patterns and just everything in general.

So hard to begin!Fell like a kid in a candy shop- what to choose what to choose.

I have asked for help at fabric store and the young girls there just don't see to have any advice. Would greatly appreciate your expertise.

Thank you and have a great day!
I made my first quilt when I was 20. I had been sewing in one way or another since I was 12 or so. My mother had been a Home Economics major in college before she had to drop out for financial reasons. As her only daughter I got what little time and attention she could spare when it came to teaching me sewing etc. I didn't have money to spare for buying fabric for quilts until I had my first job. My first quilt was made from leftover clothing sewing. It was simple squares sewn together with half inch seams. It was certainly nothing to write home about. When I showed my mother the top she gently told me that it should have 1/4 inch seams and be made of "like" weight fabrics. My hand quilting looked like almost small basting. Never the less it was completed and I proudly used it on my bed. It followed me to my first apartment and ended it's life about ten years later when my husband used it to lay on when he worked under the car. In the years since I have made hundreds of quilts, if you count the Linus ones I have made. I didn't learn to piece or applique properly until I joined a quilt guild. In the guild they had a "block of the month". The idea was to try a new block that they provided directions and one piece of fabric for. Each person who made a block entered it and their name was put in the pot. Each month one "lucky" person or two if there where more than 12 blocks submitted had their name drawn and they received twelve blocks. They were expected to make a top of them within a given time period. I have not been active in the guild for at least 5 years so I am only assuming that that practice continues. It was a good way to teach new blocks and designs and assure that there would be quilts from the members to be displayed at their quilt shows. I have a trunk full of finished quilts that include a queen size white on white. While I love fabric the actual quilting is what appeals to me the most. I only do machine quilting on my charity quilts. All of my other quilts are hand quilted and I am an expert at that and very speedy. What I like most about it is that it is portable and I can do it while watching TV or visiting with friends or family. Find whichever part of the quilting process appeals to you the most and do that. If you don't like the actual stitching of the layers together have someone else long arm or hand quilt your top for you. My favorite is what I call "cheaters" cloth. It is fabric that is printed to look like patchwork or even applique. Once I get done hand quilting it most people can't tell that I didn't piece or applique it myself. Find what pleases you the most and get going.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:24 AM

I agree- pick a pattern like turning twenty or Yellow brick Road and some fabrics you like- these are easier patterns - make something smaller first like a crib quilt or lap size- work on yr 1/4 in seam with these
Old 01-08-2015, 06:31 AM

My inspiration comes one of two ways.
Either I see a pattern I really want to try OR there's a piece of fabric that "tells" me what to do.
You'll know it when you see it. Just have fun with the process.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 AM

I, too, find myself color challenged. I used to either stick to the same designer fabric line, or find a focal fabric and use the colors in it, to find my coordinating fabrics. Now I am a little more experienced and usually just buy what I like. Like someone else posted, gather the bolts together that you think will "go together", and step away to look at them. Usually if one or two aren't right, they will scream "NO, take me out." LOL Good luck in your endeavors and we will be looking for the end result here.