Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New quilting pattern??? What do you think?? >
  • New quilting pattern??? What do you think??

• New quilting pattern??? What do you think??

Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Ok ladies and gentlemen I have a quandry. The 9 patch that is my Profile picture is 12 blocks square. I just tonight finished quilting the inner 11 X 11 section leaving only the last row all the way around unquilted and I am bored with the diagonal design I have done thus far. Should I quilt the final round with a diffrent design for Variety or just push through another 48 blocks of the same design??? And if you think I should change the design what design do you think?
    Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
    Power Poster

You could change your quilting design in equal increments over the whole quilt. That pattern would easily support many different designs :D What ever you decide, I can't wait to see the end result! :D :D :D
    Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM

are you quilting on a frame? Or, are you using a portable sewing machine and doing freehand?
    The last round could definitely be a different design, if you are bored? The biggest critic you have is yourself! Everyone who sees it when you are done will think you are the most talented, capable human on earth!
    I know what you mean about being bored with straight line quilting, so it sounds like you are ready to break loose and really move that fabric! (or the quilting machine if that is the case) ...
    I think a big stipple around the border would be very interesting, or anything else you choose.
    Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM
    Power Poster

I am a creature of habit. I would stick with the same design.
    Old 04-08-2009, 06:31 PM

I am hand quilting in a hoop.
    Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Hats off to the handquilter! You have way more experience than I have at getting quilting done.
    I handquilted one quilt - - straight lines. That is when I knew why ladies did some really intricate quilting patterns ... it was a matter of sanity!

It really is a personal preference, but I still like variety ... forget stippling! How about accenting each nine patch with a quilted something?
    I would think the most important factor in how far apart your quilting can go would be your batting .... I have had batting that would allow me to quilt ten inches apart ... most batting needs to be quilted at least six inches apart ... check your batting package ... it would be a disaster to have a batting that highly recommends three inches, at the most, and then have your quilting on that outer row not fit that requirement.
    Bottom line ... your quilt, your time, your fancy .... there are no laws of nature that you would be breaking if you changed your mind ....
    I do that often ... exercising my female perogative ... changing my mind and doing something different ;-)