Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Quilting

Blog Entries

New to Quilting

Hello,
    I am new to quilting and would like to know your thoughts on the Acc-cut machine that Joann's Fabric sells.

Thanks for the advice!

Blog Entries
    I have an Accuquilt Go Baby that I have only used twice. It was hard for me to use and I feel that there would be too much wasted material and I would rather cut my fabric manually. Lots of folks on the board use the Accuquilt cutters and love them.

I do not have one and it is not on my "want list". It seems sort of frivolous to me. There are lots of other "Necessities" to spend your money on. I think that you need to learn basics first like rotary cutting, piecing. I would spend my money on a good sewing machine before getting this.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Michigan.
    i have the large Accucut Studio, but also use the Accucut GO! dies. My opinion is that there are 3 things that make a block accurate: Cutting, sewing and pressing. Anything that helps with these is worth it. If your cut is right on, your piecing is off to a good start. It is an investment, however. If you do lots of geometric quilts, the strip cutters are great. they also have lots of applique shapes, but you need to decide how much you would use a specific design. Note that your 40% off coupons are normally not applicable to the accucut cutter or dies at Jo-ann's. Check on line, you can often get a great deal. And finally, if you do a search on this board for Accucut GO, you will get lots of info.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

My sister's quilting group (they throw in a little money each week) purchased one and after trying it, then storing it in their cabinet for a year, sold it on eBay or Craig's list. They hated that it wasted so much fabric.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    I have one and love it. It always makes me wonder how people are cutting and what dies they are using when they say it wastes fabric. I've cut triangles, circles, appliques.... I've made at least one quilt that I never would have, if I'd had to cut out all those triangles manually. It goes SO much faster.

The best deals I've found on dies is through a Yahoo group, pinsandneedles1.

Welcome from Missouri. I thought about buying one and decided I didn't need it. A rotary cutter and self healing mat that I had been using worked great for me. Investing in a 1/4" foot for accuracy makes more sense to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I bought mine on ebay MUCH cheaper. I love it. I use the regular not the baby! I have cut out at least a hundred quilts (many for others).
    Patski
    always learning

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I have the GO and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.. As for the waste, I hardly have any.. It cuts perfectly once you figure out how to lay the grain line.. Ive got most of the dies, Hubby got me a few at a time for each holiday.. I do recommend you buy extra mats.. I wear mine out pretty quick and YES to me they are disposable.. I dont think the dies or mats are that expensive plus if you can find them on sale its a bonus...

As with everything you will have love 'em and Hate 'ems.. I suggest you try it out.. I was hooked the first time i saw it..

Blog Entries
    J have wanted one for years but my fixed income doesn't allow me to buy one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast