Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new to quilting >

new to quilting

new to quilting

Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 PM

Smile new to quilting

I am teaching myself to quilt and where would I buy very cheap fabric until I get where I can use better material once I get used to it? Fabric is so expensive! Thanks for any tips. I just got the mat, rotary cutter, a book and ruler.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 PM

If you want to get practice sewing seams and rotary cutting, my suggestion is to raid the local thrift stores for flat top sheets. I have an awesome quilt that I made out of nothing but 8 inch squares from flat sheets with a flannel sheet for the back. It lives in the trunk of our car for impromptu picnics or park days, or for when the dog decides she wants to take a ride LOL. It is 100% utility use only, but it really got me used to my rotary cutter and piecing when I first started.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM

Some estate sales, garage sales, and thrift shops actually sell fabric and sewing notions.

I hope wherever you are you are able to join some sort of quilting guild or group. If there isn't one then as you get comfortable with quilting maybe you cans start one. My church started a local Prayers and Squares group [ an international interfaith organization that is free: <cite class="_Fe">www.prayerquilt.org/</cite>‎ ] Several of the ladies had never quilted before. Our quilts are tied, so that includes our more senior members in the making of the quilts.

Maybe some LQS owners will begin to recognize the importance of being a clearing house for local quilting groups. That is my hope for the future.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

In Batesville, Arkansas there is a place called Marshalls. Try looking that up and see all that they have. My sister goes there from time to time, and she LOVES it. Very inexpensive.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Power Poster

If you can't find fabric remnants at charity shops hit the discount clothes racks...cotton shirts, cotton pants, check out the area where there are tablecloths, even napkins. Just make sure it's not too worn and you are good to go. Quilting on a shoestring is just as much fun and the quilts just as beautiful as ones made out of more expensive new fabrics.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:25 PM

No idea where you'll get fabric, but just wanted to say 'Hi' and welcome to the board. I've had so much help, support, encouragement and inspiration from the wonderful people here.

One word of warning - it's addictive! Happy quilting!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 AM

Welcome to the board and the hobby of quilting. I'm glad you joined us!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:08 AM

Try using all cotton men's shirts too. Often you can get them cheaply at a thrift shop- go for the xls- more fabric for your dollar. There is a website- www.quiltville.com where you can see a great method to deconstruct a shirt.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Northern California. All above are good sources. Be open to different fabrics and be sure to come back here if you feel a need to. The people here are the best. BrendaK
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 AM

Welcome. I agree with several of the above posters. If you're a member of a church, you might want to just get the word out that you're new to quilting and would appreciate fabric. My Mom is a knitter and you can't imagine the yarn she get's donated to her. She's done knit hats for all the first grade classes at a local elementary school for a number of years, plus donates her time. This year the school decided they wouldn't be doing projects, so her "help" wasn't needed!