Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to quilting >

New to quilting

New to quilting

Old 05-10-2016, 06:02 AM

When I started quilting, I didn't know anything at all about it. I began by going to my library and checked out two books:

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Quilting" and "Quilting for Dummies"

These books answered questions I didn't know I needed to ask.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:09 AM

Craftsy has a wonderful beginning class "Piece, Patch, Quilt" with Gail Kessler. It is a great intro to quilting and often you can find the classes on sale.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:36 AM

go to the Missouri Star Quilt Company you tube videos and get an idea of what is involved in making a quilt. Very quickly you will figure out what is an easier pattern to make. Definitely save the baby clothes for awhile. There are a few tricks to working with these types of fabrics. Practice on your machine making 1/4" seams. This is very, very important to getting your pieces to fit together and saving TONS of frustration. When you decide on a pattern, there are many, many free patterns out there. Make a small quilt top (maybe a small throw for your daughter) with only a few fabrics. If you have a Joanns nearby, shop there with coupons. Do a plain backing and only do a simple quilting stitch to start. Maybe lines diagonally to secure the quilt. The main thing is to start simple, keep your cost down, keep it fun and don't be too hard on yourself if you make a mistake. The most used item in most of our workrooms is our seam ripper!!!