Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Sewing Machine

New Sewing Machine

I am a beginner sewer and I want to purchase a new machine. What brand would you recommend for me. I don't want to pay a lot for one. I would like one that is good for sewing and quilting.

husqvarna viking Hclass less than $400.00. I have one as a second machine and I bought one for my grandaughter and she is a beginer

I just purchased a Janome for my granddaughter for sewing and quilting. It was $300. plus tax. but I think you need to go to your dealer and try various models out to see what suits your needs best. They are so many nice machines available out there today.

what do you have now and what do you consider "a lot"?

deciding what you want the machine to do is essential. Piecing traditional quilts? Quilting the sandwich? Easily transported/stored? Needle up/down? Thread cutter? Walking foot or duel feed? What is "a lot" $? To you it might me $100. To me, it depends? I'm saving up to get a $4500 machine. Probably, as a beginner, after using it a while you'll have a better idea of what's important to you. I might look for a good model, used.

Blog Entries
    You can start with a brother, they seem to be great workhorses. I bought a used Viking and only paid $200, still using it after 6 years
    Patski
    always learning

Try getting higher quality but second hand. Don't be afraid to negotiate. I got $100 off my machine and the guy did not even blink dropping the price that much.

Id suggest you check with your local sewing machine shop and see what 'gently used' machines they have. I got a Janome 6600 today for $1,000 plus one year warranty, and a free class on how to use her. I am very pleased with my purchase!
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

Blog Entries
    Check pawn shops in your area. I've seen everything from $20 Brothers to a Singer One (didn't see the price on it).
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

I agree with petthefabric. I am a beginner too but when it was time to buy my first sewing machine, I did lots (3 weeks) of research on Amazon (reading personal reviews, reviewing each of the machine's specs, learning what each machine does). I compared Amazon's prices to that of other sewing centers online and they seemed to be the best.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

-Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast