Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Sewing Machine >

New Sewing Machine

New Sewing Machine

Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Momwood
I love my machine , HOWEVER, it won't do all I want to learn to do. I even contacted Janome, Bernina & Husquvarna Viking and asked their tech support for a recommendation and got some good advice but I would love to know how to free motion quilt and I tried it on my machine and the stitches are so irregular that I either get a new machine or don't learn. So--back to my questions. I have had the Viking Sapphire 870Q or the Bernine 440Q or the Janome MC6600P all recommended. I was told not to get a machine that I could not have classes with. The closet Janome Dealer is 100 miles away, the closet Viking dealer is 45 miles away and we have a Bernina Dealer here in town but the Bernina intimidates me a little. Do any of you know about these machines? Do they help control the stitch length with uneven movement? It is hard to teach an old dog to do new tricks. :wink:
I just purchased the 6600! Looked at the Viking and they are wonderful machines, but the $$$ are waaaay more than I wanted to spend. Didn't go and check out the Bernina's because when I called up to talk with someone about the machines, I didn't get satisfactory service (hard to explain on e-mail), sort of got a bad feeling that I might not get the service I wanted out of them.

I decided on the 6600 for 2 reasons:

1) Its an AWESOME machine and has gotten great reviews through Consumer Reports;
2) Janome is coming out with a new one that will replace the 6600 and the prices on these machines are really great right now!! Through my dealer, if I decide I want to upgrade to the new one within a year, they'll credit me what I spent on the 6600 towards it. Can't ask for more!!

Also, you have to remember when you pick up your machine they will show you how to operate it and they should go through all aspects of the machine with you. I went on line and read the machines manual before picking it up and came up with some questions for that day.

Patrice J did answer a question for me about eyelashes and that's because I didn't set the tension correct. DUH!!! I do find the manual pretty inclusive though. Guess just excited and brain-farted!!

FMQ is something that you really just need to get used to! You just need to practice, practice, practice!!! The Bernina does have a stitch regulator that is suppose to assist in this area, but from what I've read here on this board from the ladies, it just takes practice to get your rythym. You know how fast you put the pedal to the metal and your motion of the fabric. Once you have that, no need for a stitch regulator (then x-tra $$$). Do you happen to use some gloves to assist with the FMQ?

As far as the classes, I really don't know if they're needed. Haven't found something I would need a class in yet. My dealer is more than willing to answer any questions that arise and the wonderful ladies and gentlemen are always more than willing here to try to assist anyone with a problem.

Just a little note, I'm noooo spring chicken either!!!! I've just learned to rollover!! :lol: :lol:

Good Luck, I know its very confusing to sort out all the machines, it gets mind-boggling!! Let us know what you do!!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:07 AM

I ditto everything sewcrafty says! I just finished 2 twin size quilt tops with my new Janome 6600. I'm still getting used to it... hard to remember I don't have to snip so much because of the auto thread cutter, and the needle up/down feature is so cool. I am going to take advantage of the free classes, though. I want to learn everything this baby will do!

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Sewcrafty---- You are SEWSMART! I will go online and read all 3 manuals. That should help a lot! I know I have said it before but I LOVE THIS BOARD!!! :-D
Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Good Luck!!! I know this is a terribly difficult personal thing. You wouldn't think it would be this hard would you? :lol: :lol:
Old 02-13-2011, 02:34 AM

Are you taking classes in NH?? If so where? I am interested in taking a few classes for the Jamone.
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Good Luck!!! I know this is a terribly difficult personal thing. You wouldn't think it would be this hard would you? :lol: :lol: