Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to swaps >

New to swaps

New to swaps

Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 AM

Greetings - I've sort of observed this site from a far for a bit now and am looking to wade in as a greenhorn. The idea of swapping fat quarters, ornaments ah shucks one of everything :thumbup: appeals to me. My question to you folks is just how much tolerance is extended to new folks. I've read the posted general rules but I'm of the sort that learns via trial and error. Are there certain swaps one should stick to? Additionally are there any on this list that offer themselvs to mentoring that I would not frustrate group with info and the like that has already been beat to death prior to my arrival? Thank you so much for your patience bryanne
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 AM

As a host for swaps, I encourage anyone to join in if the swap is of interest. Swaps are open to EVERYONE OF ALL SKILL LEVELS, and since everyone started at the beginning, everyone should remember how it was for them as they first started. Yes, some swaps are a little more involved than others. My suggestion would be to do a block or whatever it is, of the swap you want to participate in. If it was easy, and looks good to you, join in. If you are not quite satisfied with how it turned out, make another one! They will get better each time! And as a quilter, I am always ready to mentor.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Well, welcome to the board from Alabama. Sew glad you joined us. The swaps are open to all skill levels, so jump right in, questions, just ask, someone will answer.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 AM

Hi bryanne, welcome to the board. I would suggest not jumping into to many swaps, I did this and it becomes overwhelming very quickly. A really great swap to start with is the Monthly Quilting Bee Swap, it gives you a chance to learn to do different blocks in your skill level. MadeinMaine is a wonderful host and answers your questions quickly. Deb Watkins is also a great host that will answer your questions. Both ladies have helped me alot and have tons of patience. The majority of the ladies here are willing to help.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 AM

I think it's important for you to select a project that is appropriate for your skill level. Even though the swaps are open to all skill levels, there are minimal requirements, such as size of blocks, that should be considered.

If you are going to make blocks, select those that are considered beginner blocks and you will have a better overall experience.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I agree with what has already been said about the swaps . Just pick one give the block a try and see how you feel about it :lol:

We also have a search button at the top of the page , play with that a bit, you will be surprised at the wealth of information available here :thumbup:

Have fun and enjoy :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 AM

You can also get your feet wet with other types of swap on the board....fabric swaps, ornament swaps, pincushions, etc.
Have fun....they are addicting :)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Mercy all the rapid replies thanks to all! I was to begin thinking about fabric as as to be able to gain some "stash" as you all refer to. The expense being what it is thought it would be a nifty way to dabble. I've raised Dobermans & schnauzers for many a year while giving lessons so I'm really big on mentoring. I had not observed the search button so think I best famaliarize myself there 1st before gobbling up peoples time on redundancy and answers that are if I understand correctly available upon using this feature. Again thank you so much. bryanne
PS I got lost in the classified section....Oh what a world
Old 09-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

DOn't get yourself overwhelmed. I had the same experience and exclaimed "OH wouldn't that be fun?" and in the end, the swap obligations became work and stopped being fun. So I would suggest to pick one that is within your skill level. Follow the rules and do the best you can. AND MOST OF ALL: Have fun!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 PM

I,welcome to the board. My name is Brenda,and I would be glad to help you in anyway I can. I am self-taught in quilting,been at it for 20 years now. I have also been doing embroidery and applique since I was a child. My grandmother used to quilt and I helped her with the hand work. I am disabled now,at the age of 52,sucks but at least now I can slow down. I check the board everyday,so I can get back to you fairly quick. We can exchange numbers if you like,so you can call about something you don't understand. I have taught several people how to quilt and really enjoyed it. Have fun with it. Just let me know if I can help you.
Brenda