Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • new toy >
  • new toy

• new toy

Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM

Help! I am looking at purchasing a Hinterberg quilting frame and was wondering if anyone uses this kind, what their thoughts are (it's the kind that uses your own sewing machine, not a longarm). I am most likely going to look at it this evening, and I'm fairly certain that if I look at it I'll bring it home. The largest quilt I've done was a queen size, but am getting ready to make a king here shortly, and this will certainly help with that effort, given the fact that I quilted the queen freemotion with no frame at all.

So...any opinions?
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 AM

On my research this was a great frame. Is it the one that can handle a mid-long arm machine? If it is you won't have to upgrade your frame when you decide to go bigger on the machine. I love frame quilting and just need to get more practice in to get things just the way I want them. In the process of doing some lap throws for hospice so that should help with the practice :)!
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    On my research this was a great frame. Is it the one that can handle a mid-long arm machine? If it is you won't have to upgrade your frame when you decide to go bigger on the machine. I love frame quilting and just need to get more practice in to get things just the way I want them. In the process of doing some lap throws for hospice so that should help with the practice :)!
    Sharon, to answer your question, it will accommodate up to an 11" throat. I don't know the specs on a midarm, but that's what this will handle. Unfortunately, right now I don't have a complete quilt top to put this baby through its paces....YET! It will definitely be an adventure to be sure, tho. Congrats on your hospice throws - what a noble deed!
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM

I have the frame and a Voyager 17. I like them both. My husband put the frame together and said it was well made and went together very easy.
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Prissnboot, what is that in your avatar? I just can't figure it out!

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    Sharon, to answer your question, it will accommodate up to an 11" throat. I don't know the specs on a midarm, but that's what this will handle. Unfortunately, right now I don't have a complete quilt top to put this baby through its paces....YET! It will definitely be an adventure to be sure, tho. Congrats on your hospice throws - what a noble deed!
    Old 01-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    If it will only handle up to an 11" throat, that is the Original Hinterberg frame--not the stretch that will handle up to 18 or 20". It's still a good frame, though and they might make a conversion kit for it or you could just re-sell it if/when you move up to a bigger machine.

Definitely check the web-site and see what all it comes with at what price and decide what you think is a fair used price before leaving the house to go look at it.

http://www.hinterberg.com/prod-Origi...g_Frame-5.aspx

This is the type frame that you purchase 1.25" conduit for the "rails". The length of the conduit determines how large of a quilt you can load on it. 10 feet length is readily available and you can get up to 21' length at some chain link fence suppliers. The chain link rails aren't heavy enough for the large quilting machines but should be fine for domestic sewing machines.