Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New or Used Sewing Machine ??? >

New or Used Sewing Machine ???

New or Used Sewing Machine ???

Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Also dealers that repair vaccums and sewing machines, sometimes have machines for sale that had repairs and no one came back and paid the bill and pick up their machine. After awhile they will sell them just to get the money they put in the machine. As far as the books go, you would have to order online. Good Luck Be carefull on craig list, i just read about alot of scams on there.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I would go to a reputable dealer...explore the different machines and decide what brand you like the best. I happen to prefer Viking machines. Most dealers will have trade-in machines that you can purchase at much less than a new machine. Just because they have been traded in does not necessarily mean there is something wrong....many ladies are always trading up to the newest, top-of-the-line machine. Both of my machines are used...and they are great machines. I bought them at the LQS I go to most often.

I traded 8 yrs. ago for a used Viking. It has been so reliable. It goes back to the dealer, who is also an excellent repair person and has been there for many years. Recently bought a Brothers w/ embroidery. It works great, but it is plastic and it's not capable of quilting a large quilt. The throat is not large enough. I also think you should go to a reputable dealer and one who can also do a good job on repairs. Just my thoughts. Marge
Old 01-23-2011, 03:16 PM

My first Bernina was a used 440QE. Loved it. Got it from a reputable dealer with the remainder of the 25 year warranty (21 years). Traded up to a 730 and got more than I paid for it.

Regardless of what machine you decide on, a used is fine if you get what you want and get it from a reputable dealer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Try Brubaker's in PA, brubakersewing.com (I think). They sell used, refurbed machines with a warranty. Have some on eBay. Or another reputable dealer, with a warranty. If you are looking for a basic workhorse, a mechanical machine with a known positive reputation such as a Singer 201, 301, etc could be found on craigslist or eBay with little risk because as long as it runs, they can be repaired. Maybe stay local and make the sale contingent upon it checking out ok at a dealer. I was blessed to buy a used Bernina 930 from a super lovely quilter on this board, and it had been serviced recently, plus she demo'd it for me in person. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I've bought a couple of used machines, but always from a dealer. They came with a 1 year warranty and all the feet, manuals accessories etc. All Vikings and all very reliable machines.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks so much. My neighbor swears by a sewing machine place near us. I plan to go and see what they have. Not sure I would use an embroidery machine, but definately would like more stitch selection than I have on this old one. It was my Mother's and she had used it for years and years, so I'll never get rid of it. I think of her when I sew (which is every day) and somehow she is still with me. (Weird - I know). I'll post after I try out some machines. Again, thanks for sharing your experiences.