Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future.... >

New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

Old 05-13-2011, 03:28 AM

I stopped by a brand new Walmart in a neighboring town as i was passing through. I asked where the fabrics were, and they told me 'right after the craft stuff, next to electronics'.....and I found them.

Walmart did away with bolts, cutting tables, etc. They now have them pre-cut in 2yd bundles on cardboard, hanging like socks on a fixture. It's a super large fixture, but nonetheless hanging like socks! There wasn't anything larger than the 2yd cuts. And that included fleece!

The cotton fabric does appear to be better quality than they used to have, and the price is $7.97 per 2yd pack.

So WM did indeed keep their word with returning fabrics into their new stores, but with a strange new twist.

Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

The one in our closest city did that. Our small one in the next town still has the regular way, like it so much better!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 AM

I heard SEVERAL years ago that they were going to pre cut fabrics. I visioned it hanging like what you said but after they took it out of all the stores, I figured they scrapped that idea. Wonder if they saw how much they were loosing by not having fabric there? We are quilters, hear us roar!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 AM

A local 'non-Walmart' store had 'yardage' and precut 'yards' at one time. The precut 'yards' seemed to be better quality than a lot of the yardage.

Hopefully WM quality is good. If I need more than 2 yards, I'd buy more packages.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:37 AM

Our Walmart did that also.but the precuts are garbage!!! I wrote and told them what I thought of their product too..shame on them for trying to pass that off on us. THey used to have some nice fabric at one time.
sass
Old 05-13-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
The one in our closest city did that. Our small one in the next town still has the regular way, like it so much better!
Me too! I prefer it cut to order!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Way more of selection the old way too. There are a few pretty ones, just not alot of selection.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:46 AM

I was at WM yesterday and they had 10 inch squares,5 inch squares,Fat Quarter bundles and precut 2 yards hanging up.It was really nice fabric.The way it was displayed it would be easy to match your fabric.I was really impressed.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
A local 'non-Walmart' store had 'yardage' and precut 'yards' at one time. The precut 'yards' seemed to be better quality than a lot of the yardage.

Hopefully WM quality is good. If I need more than 2 yards, I'd buy more packages.
Yes, you can buy more packs; however, I also sew for other projects and I also need the length of a continuous yardage cut...ie, robes, pants, curtains.....I guess the new look will be seams everywhere?! Not! I'll buy elsewhere I guess.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 AM

We have two Walmarts and only one still has an actual fabric dept. They are getting in some really nice quality bolts of fabric. The re-arranged the dept. again and took away all of the thread, zippers, buttons, and trim/binding packages. I haven't looked to see if it is in different part of the store.