Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie building stash..... a question

Banned
    Blog Entries
    as a rule of thumb it would depend on if you like scrappy or planned, do you do a lot of gifty smaller things, do you do a lot of swaps...your stash depends on what you plan to do with it..
    if you do NOT like scrappy, then you need to buy 3-4 yrds of the prints and matching blenders...which means more fabric in fewer designs..
    If you like scrappy, then 1/3 yard is great to allow for shrinkage when you wash it...and yes, you should always wash it before it goes into your stash...trust me....

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    A half-yard cut would be enough for the backing for a table-runner.

Blog Entries
    I hate using up the last of a fabric, so I almost always buy 1 yard at a time. Really don't like fat quarters because using them usually means nothing left of the fabric for stash!

Great information posted. Very helpful

i don't buy FQ's because I think that is an expensive way to go. I buy from 1/2 to two yds.

I have lots of FQs and seldom use them. I prefer yardage. I buy at least a yard......more if I really love it.

If you can afford it I would take 1/2 yards over FQ. There are many cutting instructions for 2 1/2 yard strips or WOW. If you like it for border fabric I would get 1 1/4 yard. If you want it for backing 4 yard for a lap and 6 yard for a twin.

I have mostly FQ and now I am strugling for backing, sashing and border fabrics. Also many patterns I am not able to do the quick cutting methods as I do not have WOW. I think 1/4 yard cuts are no good as you loose a lot of fabric along the edges as it is not straight.

Also most people that are into FQ are big scrappy quilters. Are you? I am but I still need border and backing fabric. I only buy FQ if they are marked down or a good deal.

The minimum I purchase is 1/2 yard. I have pruchased whole bolts if everything is perfect, great fabric ...great price. When I purchase the bolt its becasue I will use it predominetly in the top and use it for backing as well.
    As a general personal rule of thumb ...If its a large scale print , I rarely ever purchase under 1 1/2 yards., typically 3 so I can use it in the borders and cut lenghtwise.

Blog Entries
    I've never bought less than a yard of anything. I like "leftovers". And I ,too, hate it when I've used the last of a fabric.

I usually purchase a little more than I need for a quilt, just in case there is a cutting error. Just recently though, I fell in love with one at JoAnn's that was not on sale and I had a 50% off coupon and got the whole bolt. Then used my 10% off card because I belong to a guild. I intend that fabric to be my next kitchen curtains.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast