Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Newbie looking for advice on home longarm machine

Newbie looking for advice on home longarm machine

I have been quilting for about 2 years and always find it difficult and cumbersome to quilt my quilts on my regular sewing machine - I have a Babylock Crafters Choice. I'm wondering about a home longarm and whether it would be a good idea to think about saving up for one. Babylock sent me an email about their new Tiara machine. Any thoughts on getting a longarm and the Tiara in particular?

Banned
    I am planning to get one just for that reason, to quilt my own quilts. Not so fond of doing it on my regular machine. Mostly hate the basting process.

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to a recent thread that should be helpful:
    What is the best inexpensive long arm?

I don't know enough about the Tiara to comment on it. However, buying a longarm is a lot like buying a car -- you want to test drive different setups to find what feels most comfortable to you. Quilt guild shows are a good place to do this. Of the ones I have checked out, the Innova is the one I like the best. If I ever upgrade from my Voyager 17/Hinterberg frame setup, it will probably be to an Innova.

Edit: Keep in mind that it's not just the machine that's important; it's also the frame, and how the two work together.

It's a good idea to spend a year researching before investing in a longarm. The homequiltingsystems group at groups.yahoo.com is a good one for gathering information. It's a large, active group of people with setups ranging from the very inexpensive to top-of-the-line professional. Lots of good info there.

The Tiara is a mid-arm & it comes w/a table. So it is a sit down setup. I want one also. The Sweet 16 is basically the same machine. It doesn't take up as much room & if ya have done any FMQ before ya don't have ta learn any new skills. A long arm is bigger & comes w/a frame. It almost takes up half a room. I would never have the space ta have a long arm but I think some day I might be able ta git a Tiara or a Sweet 16.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I have a Viking 18x8 on an Imperial frame. I love it!!!!!!

The Tiara is made by the same company who makes the Sweet Sixteen (HandiQuilter). Essentially the Tiara and Sweet 16 are the same machine. There is a price difference between the two.

I am hoping to get either the HQ Sweet 16 or the Babylock Tiara later this year. I like the fact that it is a sit-down machine and has a much smaller footprint than a machine on a frame. I've been researching the HQ Sweet 16 for the past few years and have tried it out several times at shows.

Cheers, K