Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Mistake - Had To Give My Quilt Top a "Hair" Cut >

Newbie Mistake - Had To Give My Quilt Top a "Hair" Cut

Newbie Mistake - Had To Give My Quilt Top a "Hair" Cut

Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Well, I should have done a search on washing a finished quilt top on the Quilting Board before I washed mine. Everything all you experienced quilters said came true!! All the fabric was washed before piecing, but still there was a lot of raveling and my seams are all going different ways. I got up early this morning to start to press my top and it does not seem too bad since I have cut almost all the threads. I was planning to go to my LQS to have a long arm quilter do the quilting, but will I be causing the quilter lot's more problems? I could kick myself.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear ... sorry this happened to you.

It shows what happens, when things are read literally!! When they say washing the "finished" quilt .... the intent is for after it is totally done and finished, complete with binding.

Me? I prewash, and do not do the final wash ... use it as is and wash when needed.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Yep, never wash an unquilted top! I would clip all the loose threads as you have done, and give it a good press with spray starch. When you go to the quilter's , don't just drop it off, make sure they look at the quilt and advise if there's something additional they would like you to do. Good luck!!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 AM

Sorry you had to go through all this trouble, but it was cute when you said you gave it a hair cut!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 AM

OMG!!! you poor dear. well at least you wont make that mistake again. hehe. nothing better than learning from experience. the good news is that it is salvageable. you will have to post a pic.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I put one in a laundry bag and used the mini-cycle on gentle and had no problem, but after reading lots of posts here I was lucky. Good luck on your quilt. I would ask the LAQ to see if they have an issue quilting it.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 AM

I made this mistake myself...I had completed this wonderful paper pieced hexagon quilt top. I was so proud of the fabrics I had chosen, the seams matched in every direction, plus the quilt top just had the most wonderful "movement". I tried to get all of those paper pieces off and was not succeeding; brilliant idea...just wash it and they will all be gone! Lesson learned....the quilt disappeared in the trash. There was no way to save it.

Sorry you experienced something similiar...but at least your quilt top is still usable! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 AM

It happens
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 AM

Ohhh no! A lesson learned but so sad.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 AM

sorry for you...did you wash your top before quilting....i never do....i only wash after the quilt is fully finished
Originally Posted by scrapbeagle
Well, I should have done a search on washing a finished quilt top on the Quilting Board before I washed mine. Everything all you experienced quilters said came true!! All the fabric was washed before piecing, but still there was a lot of raveling and my seams are all going different ways. I got up early this morning to start to press my top and it does not seem too bad since I have cut almost all the threads. I was planning to go to my LQS to have a long arm quilter do the quilting, but will I be causing the quilter lot's more problems? I could kick myself.