Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbie is preparing 1st quilt to go to the quilters....PROBLEMS

I know what you mean Judy....being new my self. LAQ....I figured out Long Arm Quilt...as in machine. QAG is Quilt as you Go. LQS....I figured out is Local Quilt Store.....that's about all that I know!!!

I think your quilt is lovely. My first quilt ended up in the wastebasket..... it was that bad. I'm sure your quilter will be able to finish your quilt no matter which way the backing is stitched. And I wouldn't worry that one side is 1/4" longer than the other..... You aren't entering it in a quilt show and when it's on the bed, no one will know.

Great Job on your first quilt...... Upward and onward!!

I think you will be okay with the way you have sewn your backing. The long arm quilters prefer it the other way, but my sister has done several sewn top to bottom, and it did work. It just makes for more stress on that seam and a bit of bulk in that spot as it is "rolled" on the long arm sewing machine. But do ask, your quilter will know what she is comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    your quilt is beautiful! you may know this, but in case you don't, for LAQ, you should piece your backing side to side, not top to bottom... rolls more evenly for the quilter.
    I didn't know that! Thanks

Blog Entries
    First of all - welcome to the QB from a fellow Missourian - I am from Lebanon - don't know where Grant City is??? Love your quilt - great color selection.
    Nikki in MO

Six inchs all around is excessive seems very wasteful.

Nikki, Grant City is in Worth Co. on the Missouri Iowa line. I can see Iowa from my yard!

I took my quilt to my quilt lady. She said she doesn't have a preference about which way the backing goes. She thought it looked fine.

Thanks everyone for the compliments everyone. Hope to get it back so I will have it for Thanksgiving company...still have to put the prairie points on too!

Well, even though you have had some problems it is going to be a beautiful quilt & you will be so proud of it when it is displayed on your bed for the holidays, only you will see all those problems you mentioned. And your next quilt will be better.

Debs
    Debs Herold & Hemi (ADA Service Dog)

Your quilt is gorgeous and I commend you for making a king sized one! Hope to see photos when you get it back. Great job! :-)
    DI ... itís good to be princess

Ask and it shall be given ... seek and ye shall find.

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to see if after it is quilted. Best wishes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast