Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie with question about spray basting >

Newbie with question about spray basting

Newbie with question about spray basting

Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM

Default Newbie with question about spray basting

I have finished my first quilt top and I'm ready to make my sandwich. I bought some 505 spray because I had heard it was so good from several quilters. Here is my question. Do I spray the quilt top or the backing or both sides of the batting? Or do I spray only in strips where the pins would go? My instincts tell me to spray the backing fabric while it's taped to the floor, then layer the batting on, and then spray the top of the batting and put the top on. HELP!!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Your instincts are very good. I spray the backing then layer on the batting. Get these two layers smooth ( backing and batting ) before anding the top. Spraying the batting or the back of the top , can have mixed results.. this depends alot on the batting used. When in doubt spray the back of the top. If its a large quilt , I fold the top into 1/4's , and apply the top in 1/4's to the batting. Lay the first 1/4 get it smooth as possible, open the next fold smooth and then the final . Working with a large top that has been sprayed can be problematic if you try to position the top all at once.
Some find hanging the backing on a wall spraying and adding the layers to work for them... I find I have more issues that way with big quilts , maybe because I am short.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Here's what I recommend.

Lay down a large flat sheet first to catch any overspray. (Afterwards the sheet can be tossed in the laundry.) Tape the sheet to the floor, if you like.

Smooth out the batting on the sheet. (It helps to fold and mark the center of each edge before you do this.) Center the backing on top of the batting. (If you have folded and marked the centers of the backing first, matching them to the batting markings makes this really easy.) Fold back half of the backing on top of itself, exposing half of the batting. Spray the wrong side half of the backing, or the batting. (Spraying fabric requires less basting spray than spraying batting, and you want to keep the amount of spray you use as minimal as possible and still get good contact. You don't want to get any basting spray on the right sides of the fabrics, though, so sometimes spraying the batting is easier.) To minimize overspray, spray from the edge of the quilt towards the center. You want the spray to cover the entire area, but thinly. Fold the sprayed backing half over the batting, smoothing and repositioning as necessary so everything is flat. (It's nice to use a yardstick to smooth from center to edges, although not necessary.) Fold the remaining backing fabric over itself and repeat the process.

Flip the batting/backing sandwich over so that backing side is against the sheet and "naked" batting side is exposed. Mark and center the top over the batting. Fold back half the top and repeat the spray/smoothing process.

It's really important when spray basting to do it in halves as described above, especially with large quilts. The first time I used basting spray I sprayed the entire batting and then tried to position it on top of the backing. Was ultimately successful, but had a sticky mess on my hands and quite a struggle before I got it right. Works *much* better to center and position first, before spraying!

Last edited by Prism99; 02-13-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM

Prism, that is exactly how I do mine. I lay the backing on the table, lay the batting next, smooth it out, then spray half of it, smoothing it as I go. Then I repeat it for the other half, then the top.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM

I pretty much follow the Prism method, too. I start with the batting on bottom because it's easier for me to smooth the backing on to it. The batting seems to lay still better than the backing fabric does. As Prism said, it is important to spary half of so at a time and smooth things out. I didn't do that the first time and had so much batting fibers stuck to me I looked like an albino gorilla when I finished.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM

You guys have been so helpful. Thanks so much!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Just recently on the QB there was a tip about using basting sprays and how you get a better hold if to spray the fabric and not the batting. I gave it a try and it really does work better and you also use less spray. This QB is a wonderful wealth of information.
peace
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM

i center the 3 layers then pin a line down that center then i can do 1/2 at a time from the center out---i have only done single size quilts and wall hangings so far like this
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

One thing I wanted to mention is that it's probably a good idea to leave your spray basted quilt overnight to dry (or at least a few hours). I've seen a few posts about getting a sticky needle when quilting is started right away, especially if the quilter has overused the basting spray.

Also, some people press the quilt sandwich after spray basting -- although this is probably advisable only with battings that are predominantly cotton (80% or more), as polyester melts under a hot iron. Aside from probably helping the spray to dry, it compacts the batting which can make it easier to fit more of the quilt underneath the arm of the machine. As soon as the quilt is washed, the batting will fluff out again (assuming it is mostly cotton and not an iron-melted poly!).
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM

Less is more with spray basting! Do not have a heavy hand with the spray!