Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: newbie questions

1. Is there a speedy, easy way to do tumbling blocks?

2. Quilt is going to be a much used bedspread. I know I will need to wash the fabric first, but do I do it in hot or cold water? Detergent or no? Dryer?

3. Will be my first real quilt. Any advice, tips, wish you had known then....

Thanks! Virg

Blog Entries
    here is a YouTube Marci Baker of AliciasAttic video showing the easy way to do these. I've had the pattern for years and it works well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpSETMbws4

Blog Entries
    If I prewash I wash the same way I wash the finished quilt. Hope this helps:) Be sure to keep us posted on your project.

Quote Originally Posted by virgwid
    1. Is there a speedy, easy way to do tumbling blocks?

2. Quilt is going to be a much used bedspread. I know I will need to wash the fabric first, but do I do it in hot or cold water? Detergent or no? Dryer?

3. Will be my first real quilt. Any advice, tips, wish you had known then....

Thanks! Virg
    1. google for "Not Your Grandmother's Tumbling Blocks" ... I think you should be able to find a youtube tutorial.

2. I give it the "abuse" treatment ... hot hot water, laundry soap then hot dryer. That way I know if there's any disasters before I do the work. Shrinkage taken care of and any bleeding of colours noted. You may plan to give it TLC and gentle cook wash/dry later, but there's always that time that it happens accidentally otherwise!

3. Good Luck ... and don't fret! Keep your expectations for one who is doing a first quilt ... not to match up against a quilter who has done so for years and years! :)

I did this for my first quilt - hope you are ambitious. Good luck and I bet it will turn out great.

Blog Entries
    Measuring and cutting accurately will be critical.