Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
newbie to quilting and ready to send back the machine >

newbie to quilting and ready to send back the machine

newbie to quilting and ready to send back the machine

Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 PM

Did you ever try the genie washers you do under the bobbin. Try thoes if it nor your tension.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

what brand of machine?
i have called the 800 # for customer/tech support and been talked through many problems over the years-
the problems you are having are tension problems-start with that section of your manual-
there is a learning curve- and it takes time to learn your machine- everyone has problems at first- call customer service for help if you can not figure it out with your book-
this is one of the reasons i always recommend buying machines from local dealers who will come in set you up- and teach you how to use your new machine....it is worth a few extra $$ to start out on the right foot.
sorry this has you frustrated- it may be time to walk away- and start again in the morning.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM

In the perfect world, we could just pick up something and it works the first time. Practice, Practice, Practice. If something goes wron is it TNT, thread, needle and tension! Good luck!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM

Sorry you are frustrated. The birds nest on the bottom means top tension issues, (like everyone here had posted). I would also change the spool of thread to a different one, or a different manufacturer. Take your time, this is new to you, and takes lots of practice. I wish I had one, but I would give up too easily if I had problems. You will find out what is wrong, from what I read, you have to be a detective.

Originally Posted by quitsandstuff View Post
I just got a 13 long arm, I have had nothing but trouble since I started this morning. The machine bird nest on the bottom, the stiches are real long and several skipped stiches, breaks the needle Can somebody rescue me and the machine before I throw it in the trash
Old 11-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Glad you posted your problem because I think I may have gotten the answer to mine. I have a Juki and it has been bird nesting on the bottom too. Never thought to check my tension.

Keep trying, its worth it!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

With a new machine, I hope that you are learning on a practice sample made from scrap fabric and batting. I always test out my machine before starting to quilt a project. Got heavens sakes, don't heave the machine out the window. TAKE a break and give yourself a HUG !!! We ALL have experienced BAD days like you are having !!!