Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A ? from a newbie... >
  • A ? from a newbie...

• A ? from a newbie...

Old 01-19-2012, 04:10 AM

Default A ? from a newbie...

what, exactly, does "stack n whack" mean? It can't mean just layering fabric, cutting it to a certain size and sewing them together.

any insights would be appreciated by this befuddled newbie
    Old 01-19-2012, 04:23 AM
    Banned

There was a very good explanation of the technique on an email that came through on Jan 16. I can't figure out out to make reference to it so you can read it.

Perhaps someone here can help..........

The explanation described this technique as well as other similar. This is better explanation than I could give.
    Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 AM

Stack n Whack is a method of producing kaleidoscope disign blocks by layering fabrics on top of each other. You match the print of each layer securing it. The "layer cake" is then cut with a rotary cutter, triangles, squares etc. You get a stack of shapes to sew into blocks. This description is over simplified but you will get the gist of it. I like Stack n Whack 'cause it produces kaleidescope blocks without the "Swiss cheese" leftover fabric of the traditional method, voila not a lot of waste. Bethany Reynolds introduced this method and she has a few great books out there. I am still using her first one, Magic Stack n Whack Quilts.
    Old 01-19-2012, 05:39 AM

Fabric like wall paper as a repeat in the design. When you do stack and wack you need 8 repeats, and if you want to use your main fabric as a border you will need to buy additional. You use your ruler to cut your 8 repeats. After you cut your 8 repeats, you stack them, starting in the center, you pin the stack together, again using your ruler, you cut strips of fabric, then using a Kaliedoscope ruler you cut these strips into your wedges that you sew together, add triangles to 4 corners and you have your stack and wack blocks. There is a little more to it than this but you get the general idea. I have taught several classes on the stack and wack and they are alot of fun to make.
    Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Bethany Reynolds wrote several pattern books using the stack n whack method. She may even have originated the method. You should be able to find one (IMHO you need to start with the first one cause the patterns get more complex in the second book) in your LQS, library or ebay. If you select a fabric of the type she recommends (large multicolored print on solid background) and follow the instructions, you get fabulous blocks. I made a lovely wedding quilt using her first book.

It's probably the most fun I have had as a quilter because every block is different and you just marvel that they came out of the same fabric.
    Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 AM

I think as a newbie I wouldn't try this technique for awhile unless you are taking it as a class.
    Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone! I had an inkling it dealt with a design (or something with a design) but I just was not sure.
    Mucky-you're right- I'm not trying this one soon I'm staying with my squares, rectangles and simple triangles now
    Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Do a search on here or google and you will find many pictures of these quilts. It is amazing how it turns out.
    Old 01-19-2012, 01:14 PM

You can also look up OBW (one block wonder) they are a similar style.
    Have a look here for some beautiful examples
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/q...enu-b2181.html